What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jack up an RV-12

Ex Bonanza Bucko

Well Known Member
What are the jack points on an RV12?

It would seem that the wings should be used for this but I have seen pictures of jacks under the fuselage.

If it is the wings do you use the wing root or a rib outboard of that?

Thanks,
EBB

Jacking points

I use the tie down points. Use one bolt on each side with the jack. For some of the SBs we have had there are points in the maintenance manual on the fuselage where a saw horse can be used to raise the AC.

I do the same thing: replace the tie down with a bolt as a Jack point. I made a collar that fits over the bolt head and Jack shaft to prevent slippage. The advantage of this method over the sawhorses is that one person can do it working alone.

What are the jack points on an RV12?
It would seem that the wings should be used for this but I have seen pictures of jacks under the fuselage.
If it is the wings do you use the wing root or a rib outboard of that?
Thanks,
EBB

I think the reason that most people use the fuselage is so they can remove the wings.

1st guess - -

Maybe 2 - 3", so you need to lift 6" or so to get good clearance under the wheel. Helps in getting lower screws from wheel pants if needed. I suppose if you really pushed on it, you could push it off the jack. Chock the other wheel(s).

If I am just working on a main wheel, I use a large c-clamp to sandwich the main gear leg between two pieces of wood (with thin rubber padding) and then lift the gear leg with a bottle jack. Easy to do. For bigger projects I use two custom-fitted sawhorses under the fuselage as shown in the plans.

Back