What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO360-A1B6D Conversion

krueger44

Question for the motor heads. I?m looking at a second run IO360-A1B6D for my RV7. This configuration has the single drive dual mag configuration. Although certified, I?m always a bit leery of single point failure opportunities. Does anyone have experience converting a A1B6D back to a A1B6? I know it requires a different accessory case, gears, etc. I guess another option would be to go with dual electronic ignition, and just cap the mount pad. Any thoughts?

I've got an A1B6 with a Lightspeed Plasma electronic ignition (Direct Crank Sensor) for the top plugs and a P-Mag the bottom plugs. No single point failures. If you only use one of the two available mag mounts for a magneto or a P-Mag and then use an LSE, you wouldn't have to convert anything and you'd still achieve your goal of no single-point failures, with lots of fuel savings to boot!

There may be other electronic ignition options besides LSE that don't use the standard mag mount.

Conversion

This is not a simple swap. Call me at seven 7 zero fife one 9 49 ninety nine for some pointers. I have Robert Paisley's EFII dual redundant electronic ignition on mine and LOVE it.

Conversion

While mine is somewhat different from yours - carbureted, etc. - my recommendation is to do what I, and the previous poster, as well as Andy Crabtree, have done - full dual EFII. Robert Paisley is very good people, and will steer you through the whole thing. I intended to change out the accessory case, too, until I got into research as to what it would cost. You will be considerably better off with EFII. disclaimer - this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.....

Back