What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wrong rivet callout near fuel tank attach bracket

mg1003

One more question to get me back on track:
The bottom hole in F-796B (L and R) is shown #12 drill with a AN509-10R12 screw. In drawing 28 the equivalent hole in the foward side skin F-770 is called out as an AN-426AD4-6 rivet (right next to the holes that are called out as "leave holes open for attachment of fuel tank attach bracket").

This seems to be pretty obvious, but could someone cross check and confirm that this bottom hole is a screw and not a rivet?

That is a screw in the lower longeron. Drawing 38 tells you to countersink the side skin and lower longeron. Actually you stack the side skin over the lower front skin and over the lower longeron and then machine countersink. When the screw sits flush you shouldn't have cut into the lower longeron at all. I suppose you could machine countersink the forward lower skin stacked on the lower longeron and then dimple the side skin. I did it the first way described. Hope this helps.

It is a screw

I asked Van' support about this and they confirmed the drawing on page 38 is accurate. It is detail F on that page that shows the use of an AN509 bolt.

Back