What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

glare shield

dick seiders

Well Known Member
The one thing the 12 lacks is sufficient shadowing of the instrument panel which really puts the Dynon brightness in sunlite to the test. Has anyone flying done a glare shield yet? I am thinking about attaching one to the panel mount screws to overhang the Dynon and GPS. This device would also help to reduce the floor and throttle, choke, and heat handle reflections from showing up on the lower portion of the plexi. Appreciate any feedback .
Dick Seiders (22 hrs and still exploring the envelope of a great airplane).

Guess no one else has this problem, or doesn't want to talk about it because of the deviation from plans? Once approved by thr FAA it's an experimental airplane, right? So changes are ok. If no none agrees please tell me how to improve the view of Dynon and Garmin w/o a glare shield, and I will be appreciative of your input.
Dick Seiders

Glare Shield!

Ok Ill bite, Might need one around the 496 but can see the Dynon fine in bright sun light. Im 6' 2" with my lightspeed head set on Im almost out of head room so If I put on some sort of shade shield in then it would be in the way of the screens from my line of sight:D.

John
RV12 N1212K

Glare

I have not had visibility problems with the Dynon at all. I do have some problems with the Garmin. I get glare from anything white in the cockpit depending on sun angle. Probably the most difficult thing about the Garmin is the small size screen that has LOTS of information on it. I think that it is a surface that has a higher reflective property that the Dynon. I have to lean forward to read some of the smaller objects on it. I think it is called "696 envy".

Rich

I just added a Koger shield. First use was this morning. It is worth every penny to keep that hot sun off your head.
A side benefit is the visibility of my Dynon improved significantly just from the shadowing provided by the Koger. The GPS still needs more so will continue to experiment with various shields. Any ideas- keep them coming. If I come up with anything good I will share as well.
Thanks.
Dick Seiders N678AD

Ensure the brightness control on the GPS is up all the way. Are you wearing polarized sunglasses? Could be a factor.

Now that (airgizmo) looks like it would be helpful with the angle improvement. Did that on my former (RV6A) ride with the engine instruments, and it was very helpful. ( It was a Billy Waters idea). May still need some overhead sun shielding tho as well. Thanks
Dick Seiders N678AD 22.9 hrs.

Sunshade

WallyWorld - about six dollars - automotive dept
Static cling (two different shades)
Plenty large enough to provide sun cover
You can see through it
Mild soap and water - spray bottle
cut it to shape
Squeegge or credit card
NOT $300

Window Tint

I was just going to say the same thing, what is preventing anyone from using window tint in a nice square patch where a rollout shade would be.

I live in AZ and fly an Evektor Sportstar right now, I am 6'2" and when I roll the shade forward it really becomes a distraction if its past the bill of my hat, just a visual thing and i find when I am looking for traffic in clearing turns I annoyingly want to slide it back all the time.

FYI if its back far enough to not be in my field of view it does nothing to de-glare the panel. Not really a problem since its a 96 with steam gauges but the 296 in it is just a sunspot I have to shade with my hand to see.

Of course living in AZ this will almost always be a problem for me.

look before you leap. Airgizmo does not fit in the RV12 panel cutout. The angle improvement can be made in several ways by modifying the existing materials. I (with help from friends) added an angled disc of teflon to the garmin mtg (4 screw location) and it repositioned the 496 nicely (about 15 degrees) for a better view. One could also reduce the length of the spacer tubes on the pass. side to 1", and use the cutoff ends to sq. up the nuts when re assembling. In either case it is also necessary to elongate the 4 mtg holes to slide to unit towards the pass. side due to the angle change. Pc. of cake and either will work.
Dick Seiders

Window Tint

I have a brother who owns a window tint installation business and I had him check with his vendors regarding using tint on our plexi canopies. The answer came back that they are not compatible and the tint could damage the plexi.

It is one of those things where it might not be apparent right away but over time it could be a bad thing.

Needless to say, I took a pass.

Funny answer from an Acro guy

I was talking to a friend who is into acrobatics and his solution was to fly inverted all the time and only land in the shade or after sunset :)

Dick,

This weekend I was having trouble seeing the garmin on the map page, it was to dark in the sun light. Trying to find a solution I found myself on the menu for the map page. Select "Menu" then "Set Up Map" then the "Map" tab.... there is a entry for "Terrain Shading"... I turned this off and the picture was much better... at least for me. This may help you too.

-Ron

Ron, thanks. I will try mine in the new angled position before adding another varible, but remember your suggestion
Dick

Back