What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy latch

gblwy

Well Known Member
Hi,

The canopy latch mechanism appears to bend the front half of the roll bar forward as the latch rides over the nylon block. Is this how it is meant to work?

I also find that it is quite difficult to open the canopy. You need to pull down on the back half of the handle to get the plate to ride under the lip on the nylon block. Is this deliberate? If so, (and this is probably OK from inside the plane) it doesn't seem acceptable from outside. Just rotating the handle from outside will not open the canopy. The handle must be pushed down at the rear :-(

Cheers...Keith

Had the exact same problem with mine. It will wear a bit and get easier to open as time goes on. From the inside watch carefully and see which way you have to flex the handle to get it to open more easily.

Canopy Latch

Keith,

Carefully read steps 1 and 2 on page 34-11. See if that helps. I had problems engaging and disengaging the latch until I performed the suggested adjustments.

Art Pennanen

Latch

Had the same solution as Marty. I am now wondering about a canopy "lock". This has come up before but with no particular solutions. I have been using a canopy cover as security but I would love to have a lock. I know that there are lots of clever people on the list. I have not come up with a way of locking the canopy but I wonder if anybody else has.

Rich

Just thinking about it you could attach a second small angle (like the lifting handle) directly below (maybe about 2-3") the lifting handle. Drill a 1/4 hole in each one (deburr of course) slip an extended length padlock (like a small bicycle lock) thru the holes and voila! You have an obvious lock to discourage those who like to help themselves to opening your top when you are not around.
Dick Seiders

Back