What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Resetting a VP-X

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
In my "not yet flying" RV-8, I have a VP-X, and dual Skyview setup.

I had a VP-X circuit breaker trip in the garage yesterday (yes, I know why it tripped), and I reset it via the VP-X screen on the Skyview. But it got me thinking about how I would do that in the air if both Skyview systems tripped.

Due to the nature of the VP-X, it doesn't have a breaker itself.

The only thing I can think of is to cycle the mains, to get the VP-X to reset. But I don't know for sure if that will reset all circuits. Doing that would not really be a good thing in flight, given that the plane has an EFII.

1) Is there any other way to reset it?
2) Can anyone confirm if power cycling the VP-X cause all the ECBs to reset?

Do you have a battery backup on one of your Skyviews? The display should continue working and, I believe, allow you to control the VP-X.

Do you have a battery backup on one of your Skyviews? The display should continue working and, I believe, allow you to control the VP-X.

Yes, in fact, both displays do. That is a great point, thank you!

But that now makes me realize that the second SkyView did NOT turn on, even though it had a battery backup. So now I end up with another question:

3) Is there any way to force a Skyview to turn on with battery power only?

VP-X config?

Yes, in fact, both displays do. That is a great point, thank you!

But that now makes me realize that the second SkyView did NOT turn on, even though it had a battery backup. So now I end up with another question:

3) Is there any way to force a Skyview to turn on with battery power only?

There are different configurations for VP-X circuits. You can define using the PC-Configurator, with an Ethernet cable interface, whether the circuit is Always ON, Always OFF, at the VP-X power up. The circuit for the SkyView on my RV-6A is set for Always ON, which simply means the 'circuit' is going to be ON at power UP. However, IF the SkyView is powered OFF by shutting down (button #1 held), then the SkyView will have to be manually powered ON using button #1 after the VP-X is cycled.

Have you downloaded/installed the PC-Configurator on a PC? You should do that for examination on the ground. Get that 'red box' documented. Using the Online configuration is also useful on the Vertical Power website. (The online and PC Configurator DO NOT talk to each other and may show conflicting settings, so only the PC can tell you the current settings.)

Last edited:
Cycling a switch should reset all devices on that switch to their switched setting. Cycling the master will reset all always on devices back on.

Cycling a switch should reset all devices on that switch to their switched setting. Cycling the master will reset all always on devices back on.

I don't think this is correct.

It is my understanding when a breaker is tripped in a VPX it does not get reset with a switch or power cycle. It needs to be reset from their PC software or EFIS.

From the VPX Manual
When a fault occurs, the VP-X turns off the circuit. It remains OFF
until the fault is manually reset using the EFIS screen. Consult the EFIS
manual for specific instructions related to clearing the fault.

If you have a circuit breaker trip in flight you should not try to reset it until your on the ground. A few years ago I had a NAV light breaker trip in the VPX in my RV-10. When I reset it from the EFIS I had a lot of smoke and fire under the panel. A chaffed NAV light wire ended up burning about a 3/8" slot in my carbon fiber panel. Carbon fiber conducts electricity and the epoxy resin will burn.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Last edited:
Breaker reset on the VPX

I just worked through this in my project.

I faulted a circuit while messing with some wires. Recycling the master (including the VPX) did not reset the tripped circuit. Since I do not have the EFIS installed yet, I had to go in with the computer/Ethernet cable and reset the breaker.

Curious how to reset through EFIS

I have a GRT Sport EFIS and VPX-Sport. I have the flaps get disabled on occasion and have to reset through the Ethernet Cable and PC. I haven't found where I can reset off the EFIS.

I just worked through this in my project.

I faulted a circuit while messing with some wires. Recycling the master (including the VPX) did not reset the tripped circuit. Since I do not have the EFIS installed yet, I had to go in with the computer/Ethernet cable and reset the breaker.

I was referring to turning something off manually. On a faulted circuit it remains in the faulted state until it is reset. The main problem here would be if the EFIS controlling the VP-X faults, so the fault cant be reset.

I have a GRT Sport EFIS and VPX-Sport. I have the flaps get disabled on occasion and have to reset through the Ethernet Cable and PC. I haven't found where I can reset off the EFIS.

Flaps and trips are typically all the way at the bottom of the device list in the VP-X Control Page. If the circuit is faulted, there should be an option to reset the circuit. I haven’t ever used a GRT to control the VP-X, but that is how it works on the other systems.

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of is to cycle the mains, to get the VP-X to reset. But I don't know for sure if that will reset all circuits. Doing that would not really be a good thing in flight, given that the plane has an EFII.

Unless I am mistaken you should never power an EFI or EI through a VPX. They should be powered through breakers independent of the VPX.

Unless I am mistaken you should never power an EFI or EI through a VPX. They should be powered through breakers independent of the VPX.

I think that he is referring to cycling the master relay. The VPX and EI are most likely fed through it. The VPX does not have its own relay or breaker as it is fed directly from the master relay.

Back