What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drawings in fractions

kentlik

Well Known Member
I wish these drawings were in tenths/decimal...

These fractions are killing me...

After years of generating drawings in decimal, I am back to my college finish carpentry days...couple clicks and boom it is rendered in decimal form.

Pretty Please

Just a minor rant

Tape measures are in fractions and for most measurements on an RV, that's the preferred tool to use.

Why not drop SAE measurements altogether and convert everything to the metric system, like the rest of the world?

Past wars

Why not drop SAE measurements altogether and convert everything to the metric system, like the rest of the world?

Because after one of the many UK-French wars the agreement to have zero longitude go through Paris and have the UK go metric got cancelled. :rolleyes:

The US just followed the UK's lead on length/distance and the rest of the world is stuck with longitude referenced to the Greenwich observatory in London.

At least that's the story we were told in school. :)

Table

I printed a table. Fraction/decimal equivalents. Several pages front back in plastic sleeves. Sits on my bench for quick reference. I agree though. Decimal would be so much easier.

I think it all has to do with land measurements, the measurement of and acre of land is in feet?

Consider it a part of the education experience we are supposed to get from experimental aircraft.
For those that can't spew from memory decimal equivalents of fractions by 64ths when they start building, they usually can at the end... :)

I have a conversion chart that helps immensely. Metric is fine, I have worked in it several times, but the majority of my work was in tenths. CNC, manual mill, Lathe, but mostly Solidworks.

Fractions are great for houses, but not so great for fine work. All my scales are in tenths, as are all my calipers...which I use almost exclusively out to 12".

For the most part, I can convert in my head, but occasionally I see the odd fraction that hits me sideways...

Just used to years of decimal prints. I am muddling along and will continue.

Try building a Zenair. Don't know if they have changed, but when I built they even mixed inches and millimeters on the same part.
Example, if a piece of angle was cut the dimension would be 3/4" by X millimeters.
I had to buy scales with inches on one side and mm on the other.

Try building a Zenair. Don't know if they have changed, but when I built they even mixed inches and millimeters on the same part.
Example, if a piece of angle was cut the dimension would be 3/4" by X millimeters.
I had to buy scales with inches on one side and mm on the other.

That is just bad all the way around...

Phone ap

I have to admit I too would prefer decimals but the phone ap really he,ps when it comes to doing the math.
Darrell

Back