Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2016, 03:31 PM

Congratulations! Be sure to post pictures after painting.

VAF donation made for 2018
Old 09-24-2016, 08:27 PM

Default Had to happen eventually!

Kit #120121 flew 23 September 2016.
Slightly heavy right wing and rightward ball, no other issues.

Must have been getting bored on the ground because N951DZ really hopped off the runway and headed skyward. I'm thinking she allowed me to strap in the left seat as a courtesy!

I'm trying to come up with a paint scheme that looks "airplane-ish" while paying tribute to the farm and John Deere's that made building her possible. All ideas welcomed!

My face is cramped from the RV-grin!
No paint yet. Working on a scheme with John Deere colors or accents.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:35 PM

Default Way to go Dave

Congratulations on your first flight! Now get those 5 hours flown off and you can join us for the next RV-12 fly-in. I see you flew from Decatur, will you return to Moontown soon? I'd like to check out your new ride.
HOBBS @187.5
Old 09-25-2016, 07:11 PM

Dave's RV smile- now fly your hours off so I can get my hanger back soon!!!!!!!!!!!
RV-12 #120515, N319RV 1st flight 12/2015 now over 270 hours.
RV-9A, 536 hours sold, RV-7 sold, Kitfox sold

Last edited by scottmillhouse : 09-25-2016 at 07:14 PM. Reason: added more text
Old 09-26-2016, 07:38 PM

6.1 on the Hobbs as of late Sunday. I want to spend a bit more time at DCU to tweek the controls and some of the SkyView setup. Doing a few dozen more landings on that 6,000 foot runway wouldn't hurt either. Man, it takes some practice flying the pattern and final slow enough to land! This thing wants to "float" all the way into Tennessee! <grin>

The "dinner bell" was ringing as I finished my first post so I neglected to express my heartfelt appreciation to a lot of folks who encouraged, supported, and assisted in making this happen (resisting an academy awards type of litany here)...THANK-YOU! to my amigos in the Tennessee Valley RV Builders Group (TVRVBG) for afflicting me with this dream in the first place, THANK-YOU! to the Moontown Gang for friendship and encouragement, THANK-YOU! to my dozens of new best friends in these forums for sharing your successes and lessons-learned, and (drum role...) THANK-YOU! to Scott Millhouse for your friendship, encouragement, advice, and generous stick-time transitioning in your RV-12! You ALL are the BEST "Besties".
No paint yet. Working on a scheme with John Deere colors or accents.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:14 PM

Default The Eagle Flies !!! The Long Awaited For First Flight

Monday morning October 25 was a monumental occasion at DOG Aviation. A little over four years after beginning assembly of RV-12 serial #120644 the time had finally come for the Eagle to leave the nest and take me along for the ride. After receiving the airworthiness certificate months ago, there has been many delays … some self-imposed, some not. Finally the time had come … N644JG was rolled out of the hangar into the brisk 48 degree morning air where it was started and taxied to the far side of the airport to get to the active runway.

After lining up with the center-line and applying full power, the commitment was made. Admittedly, I was taken a little by surprise by how fast the RV-12 seemingly leaped off the runway and began quickly climbing towards the broken clouds high above. (Not talking being close to a stall, just good solo performance). I was expecting the RV-12 to hug the ground a little longer than it did based on the RV-12 transition training taken in California. But then it occurred to me … that was with an instructor in the aircraft more than doubling my own weight and also in much hotter 95 degree air compared to the much denser 48 degree air currently at the airport. The takeaway for fellow RV-12 builders about to fly the RV-12 for the first time …. everything will happen quicker than when you were in the RV-12 with an instructor receiving transition training. Solo, the RV-12 accelerates quicker, gets off the ground quicker and climbs quicker … it is impressive.

The first test flight was not that long by design … just wanted to get the bird in the air, fly it for a few minutes, land, and taxi back for the hangar to inspect for leaks. The return to terra firma was smooth and fortunately, uneventful. Although the time in the air was relatively short, I didn’t notice any control issues with the RV-12, but then again, I did not get it up to cruising speed either. Did notice right rudder was needed to prevent yaw, but knew that would be the case since the rudder has no trim tab yet (plan on installing a trim tab soon). It was a good first test flight for the RV-12 and thus far, revealed no bad flying characteristics.

The long awaited for “RV Grin” after completion of the first test flight … oh, another VAF hat sighting too.

Found something interesting during the inspection which can be read about near the end of the post the link below points towards … wondering if other RV-12 builders have noticed the same dark oily residue?
http://www.dogaviation.com/2016/10/t...for-first.html
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2019
Old 10-26-2016, 09:22 PM

Congratulations, John. Well done!

VAF donation made for 2018
Old 10-27-2016, 05:50 PM

Wow well done! Congrats!

Bob

Subscription Paid for 2018

Home is where the hanger is...
Old 10-28-2016, 12:58 PM

Default Congratulations

I am inspired - good job. Love you're website.

- RV10, N1530G (reserved). Empennage in progress.
- RV12, N975G, Flying
Old 11-04-2016, 10:10 PM

Default RV12 Album

How do you get to see all these beautiful RV12s? When I click on the "First Flights Album" link I get a "404 Error" page.

George