What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator Pulleys

RV10inOz

Well Known Member
I have read other threads here about alternator failures etc, and its no wonder when an alternator thats meant to be doing .... say 5000RPM is doing 12500RPM all day long.

Has anyone tried fitting a larger pulley and or moving the alternator away from the crankshaft pulley so a larger diameter can be installed?

Apart from lowering the RPM you will also greatly reduce the overhung loads on the crank and alternator.

Cheers

David.

I have read other threads here about alternator failures etc, and its no wonder when an alternator thats meant to be doing .... say 5000RPM is doing 12500RPM all day long.

Has anyone tried fitting a larger pulley and or moving the alternator away from the crankshaft pulley so a larger diameter can be installed?

Apart from lowering the RPM you will also greatly reduce the overhung loads on the crank and alternator.

Cheers

David.

A 2 3/4" pulley will spin at 9585 rpm. A 4" pulley will spin at 6588 rpm on the big pulleu lyc's.....150 hp has smaller pullies................
A few years back I purchased a machined alum pulley...... just can't recall where I got it.......:rolleyes:

I went with a Plane Power from Van's and never looked back....;)

PS. If you are going to use Van's 35 ah alt kit, I have one I will sell you and throw in the pulley. All is new and in the box complete.

I fit larger pulleys on all my engines. No need to have alternators spinning at 10-15,000 rpm, most units reach full output at around 6000 or so. Everything lasts way longer. Cheap and easy to do.

Old post, I know, but...

I fit larger pulleys on all my engines. No need to have alternators spinning at 10-15,000 rpm, most units reach full output at around 6000 or so. Everything lasts way longer. Cheap and easy to do.

I know this is old, but having trouble locating a larger pulley. Any ideas on places to buy and/or recommended size?

Larger pulley source

My google-fu is not working - I can't seem to find a source for a larger pulley for the ND alternator. Anyone have a hint? Thanks!

Know someone with a lathe?

Ive had good luck with hardware/farm supply stores. I buy something close and can adapt it to the alternator with a few minutes of lathe work.

Back