What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trip to Nova Scotia

GaryK

Well Known Member
Friend
Hoping to get some good intel on a trip this summer. A group of 8 - 10 planes will be heading from Michigan to Nova Scotia the week of Aug 21. We'll overnight in Bar Harbor then head into Canada.

The group is thinking either Halifax or St Johns as our home base. They both look really nice, Halifax airport is further away from the town but we'll be renting cars so no big deal.

Any tips or thoughts on why one is better than the other would be helpful.

Thanks
Gary

Hello Gary
There is no St. Johns in Nova Scotia, there is a St. Johns in Newfoundland, and a Saint John in New Brunswick. What type of adventure are you looking for, I'll do what I can to help out.
Ron

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the correction, St. Johns in Newfoundland. The plan so far is to stay in town so we can enjoy the local food and sites. Some of the group would like to hike. We'll fly a couple of day trips to Prince Edwards Island, maybe Yarmouth. I've been to Canada a couple of times but mostly in Collingwood and North Bay.

Are some airports and FBO's better than others, GA friendly?

Thanks
Gary

The FBO in Halifax is great. Probably one of the best I have ever been to. They were also helpful in securing hotel rooms. We stayed at the Marriott Harbourfront. Very nice. Overall, a great destination.

Trip to NS

Hi Gary. I live in Fredericton NB, but I'm very familiar with NS, PEI and NS. I also lived in St. John's NFld for five years as well.

All of the maritimes have a lot to offer. It depends on what you are looking for. Saint John NB, is near Fundy National park that is beautiful. Charlottetown PEI is great and the island is small so rental cars from there would get you to most of the sites. \

Rental cars from Halifax would put you an hour from Chester/ Mahone Bay/ Lunenburg on the south shore. Beautiful areas on the oceans with lots of accommodation. The Annapolis Valley is an hour from YHZ by car. Yarmouth if you land there has lots to offer as well. I have friends there that are pilots that would show you around.

If you stay till the first weekend in Sept, the biggest Flyin in eastern Canada is at the Stanley NS airport that weekend. Not large by US standards but a good weekend. No Accomodation but a short flight from YHZ.

Email to [email protected] if I can help you with anything else

Joe

Keep me posted on your trip, I'll help out with whatever I can. You are all welcome to visit my grass strip , CLE4 Lower East Pubnico (just south of Yarmouth) 2500' X 150' wide. Our area is commercial fishing , although lobster season will be closed in our district, lobsters are still available locally. We also have a vibrant ground fish fishery. I'm a boatbuilder so I could give you a personnel tour of our yard and the local fishing industry. Not very interesting to the locals but for inlanders it might be.

Gary your group will have a good time. I visited NS several times loved every minute. Take RonB on his offer and visit his strip. Ron has a big heart he will show you his wharf and boats he built. Impressive, I was lucky to have a ride in one.

Rons%20field%20-%201.jpg

whalebones1.jpg

You may spot some whales over Bay of Findy.

whale.jpg

Highly recommended to stop by Stanley during their fly in. They will wave your flag and treat you royally.

s3.jpg

s7.jpg

Back