What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Saving my paint

Randy

Well Known Member
I finally have a nice looking airplane with a good paint job and I am trying to keep it nice. I purchased a completed 6A after building a 7A but never got the 7A painted, maybe one day...

Anyway, I am looking into the process of removing the fuel tanks where there has already been some chipping at the intersection of the tank and the wing. I may go with the Hotel Whiskey tanks but that is another story.. I think if I was to simply start removing the screws to pull a tank I would do significant damage to the paint as the paint is pretty heavy on the screws.

Is there a special technique or perhaps some kind of cutting tool to cut the paint around the screws to prevent the paint from chipping away from around the screws?

Randall in Carlsbad

Yes there is a paint cutting bit that slices the paint around the screws so it doesn't chip out around it. $20.00 at Avery. Paint cutter. Then you can use SS screws when you reinstall the tank, because you won't be able to match the paint. Still looks good.

Back