What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GSA 28

g zero

Well Known Member
Looking thru the Garmin install , cannot find the interconnect for the Gsa28 roll and pitch servo . Looks like the pitch gets info from the canbus and roll gets info from canbus and RS232 . Where does the RS232 tie into ? ( if I am on the right track. Basic single screen GDU370 with GSA 28 servos, GEA24 GSU25 (no gmc 305 ?)

Looking thru the Garmin install , cannot find the interconnect for the Gsa28 roll and pitch servo . Looks like the pitch gets info from the canbus and roll gets info from canbus and RS232 . Where does the RS232 tie into ? ( if I am on the right track. Basic single screen GDU370 with GSA 28 servos, GEA24 GSU25 (no gmc 305 ?)

Hello Zero,

Please look on page 20-6 of the Rev. M G3X Installation Manual.

You are correct that the GSA28 servos connect to the CAN bus where they directly consume data from 1 to 3 ADAHRS units.

As shown on this drawing, the RS-232 interface for the roll servo is only used if you have a GMC305 autopilot control panel.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Gsa28

Thanks. I knew there was a reason I went Garmin , the response from you has been terrific !!!
Thanks

I ran the extra wires to the roll servo for future upgrades .

Gsa28

Any reason not to install the RS232 wires into the servo connector and leave unconnected behind the instrument panel with the ends protected ?

Any reason not to install the RS232 wires into the servo connector and leave unconnected behind the instrument panel with the ends protected ?

Hello G Zero,

This would probably work ok, especially if the RS-232 pair is shielded and the shield is grounded, but it is better to not have un-terminated wires connected to pins that might act as an antenna to couple in noise.

It would be better to run the wire, and even crimp on the pins at the servo if you like, but leave the pins out of the connector at the servo until you need them to connect a GMC305.

You are welcome to email us at [email protected] with your G3X installation questions if you prefer.

Thanks,
Steve

Gsa28

Thanks for the info . I try to search VAF for answers first ,I can email you directly if you prefer . If it is answered on the forums it might save you from answering the same question twice , at least from a RV builder .
I realy appreciate the quick replys , top notch service !!

Back