VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-08-2011, 08:52 AM

Default Aux pump!

After going back and rereading your first post I would also check your fittings at your boost pump. You may have a loose one that is causing air to be sucked into your system. Since everything seemed to work fine with the boost pump fuse pulled!
1020 Hours as of 9/30/2017
Johnrv12@icloud.com
RV14 Wing, arrived and building at Rdog's new Hanger at 16X
S/N 140014
Old 07-08-2011, 01:48 PM

As an easy check, try seeing if it has a leak when the engine is cold. A hot engine and fuel pump may be evaporating the fuel before you can see it or smell it.

with the engine cold turn on the boost pump for about 10 min and occasionally pull the prop through to get the mechanical pump to cycle. I believe there are four weep holes. Two on the shaft housing and two on the bellows housing. It won't hurt to run the boost pump for this amount of time just be sure you have the fuel valve open.
Good luck, Colin
RV14, Kit #140014
ATP, CFI, Ground Instructor, A&P
colinr@sbcglobal.net
FAA approved RV-12 Flight Training Here
Old 07-09-2011, 07:26 AM

Once, again, thank you all for loaning me your brain power. I checked again yesterday, found all four weep holes with a mirror and flashlight, ran the electric pump for a considerable amount of time , no leaks. Considering all your thoughts and some other advice from the Rotax Owner's forum, my plan is to order just the new pump on Monday. That seems like something I should do regardless, considering all the reported problems with the old style pump. After I remove the old pump I'll send it in for warrantee - if Rotax refuses it, so be it. It won't break me.

I'll use the barbed fittings. My friendly FBO guy will help me make sure I get a good connection. Can't see replacing two perfectly good hoses. (They must be really good, for that price!)
One Week Wonder Build Team, OSH 2018.
VAF paid through 10/2019.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Once, again, thank you all for loaning me your brain power. I checked again yesterday, found all four weep holes with a mirror and flashlight, ran the electric pump for a considerable amount of time , no leaks. Considering all your thoughts and some other advice from the Rotax Owner's forum, my plan is to order just the new pump on Monday. That seems like something I should do regardless, considering all the reported problems with the old style pump. After I remove the old pump I'll send it in for warrantee - if Rotax refuses it, so be it. It won't break me.

I'll use the barbed fittings. My friendly FBO guy will help me make sure I get a good connection. Can't see replacing two perfectly good hoses. (They must be really good, for that price!)
Good for you John...now we can be "beta" testers together! I just hate being the only one.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:54 PM

Default Another Bad pump

Returned from a long cross country flight last week and noticed fluid on the cowling when I was putting the airplane away. Pulled the top cowl and saw fuel leaks from the weep holes and indications of leaks at the crimp near the edge of the pump. Have started warranty paperwork and ordered a replacement pump with barbs so I can reuse the hoses. New pump requires a drain line and since Van's has not yet received any Rotax engines with the new pump does not have a routing solution for the drain line at this time. My current thinking is to use a 0.25 in aluminum tube routed under cylinders 1&3 to the area near the gascolator and use tubing to connect the aluminum line to the drain barb on the pump.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:35 PM

Default Leakage Drain Line

If Scott McDaniel gets a chance to read this thread before he heads east Ron and I would both be interested in his thoughts on the leakage drain line for the new pump. Yes the old one did just leak onto the muffler but now we have a chance to avoid that and they even recommend it! From Rotax....

Some important considerations for this new style fuel pump assembly:

When installing the fuel pump, a new isolating flange (gasket) must be used.
In addition, the new fuel pump requires an o-ring (part # 631870) between the
fuel pump assembly and the isolating flange (part # 950228)

A "drainage line" must be attached to the bottom nipple fitting to accommodate
potential overflowing fuel / oil in the event of internal pump diaphragm or seal
failure. This drainage line must be routed to an appropriate area away from hot
engine parts etc. It is important that the drainage line be routed to a ram air and
vacuum free zone, it must NOT be routed into the slipstream. The drainage line
must have a continuous slope downward and must be protected from blockage
(e.g. formation of ice).

Maintenance requirements include inspection of the drainage line for damage
including blockage.

The fuel pump cover assembly is held on with 7 screws. This is for assembly
purposes only during manufacturing, the pump is not rebuild-able nor is it intended
that it be disassembled for maintenance.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:34 AM

I won't have time to install my new pump before heading off to Oshkosh Monday. Then I'm going to Alaska for two more weeks. I will try to run down Scott or one of the other Van's guys at OSH to see what they are going to do about the drain pipe. By the time I return you guys will probably be flying with the new pump.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:57 PM

John,

Have you installed the new fuel pump? Have the higher than normal fuel flows disappeared?
Davenport, IA
Old 08-22-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySantic View Post
John,

Have you installed the new fuel pump? Have the higher than normal fuel flows disappeared?
For Marty and anyone else following this topic,

I just got back from the Alaska trip with my friends in the 195. What a blast! Haven't even been to the RV hangar yet. While at Oshkosh I spoke with several of the Van's folks. They told me their engineers are working on the design for the drain tube and the additions to the instructions to cover same. Today I will call them and see how they are coming on that. When time permits this week I will be starting the installation of the new pump.

Meanwhile - has anyone out there installed the new pump, and if so could you post pictures of your drain tube installation?

John
Old 08-24-2011, 06:32 PM

Default New pump installed today

I installed the new pump today. Forgot the camera so no pictures. Cut the old hose clamps with Dremel cutter and pulled off the hoses. Removed the old pump and installed the new one per Rotax instructions. Re-attached hoses using FBO supplied clamps and tensioning tool. Installed drain line (rubber fuel hose) and routed it across bottom of engine well away from hot parts. Secured next to drain line from oil tank, cut off even with same. Secured with cable ties. Ran up to check for leaks - fuel pressure indicating 5.1 PSI - in bottom of yellow, and steady. Installed cowl and went once around the pattern. At full throttle and about 6.5 GPH flow rate, pressure was in top of the green (just under 5 PSI and steady). So far so good. Hopefully problem solved.