- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-07-2019, 04:03 PM

Default BSFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
One of these days, someone will offer a viable alternative to the Lycoming. Let's hope Andrew's engines will be that one.

I'm interested in how a non-turbo 2 stroke diesel will work at altitude and what the BSFC will really be like as typically, they are no better than a 9 to 1 Lycoming running LOP with a good EI system. I don't buy the .204-.216 figure.

Has Andrew discussed cost and proposed product support structure in North America?

Exciting stuff, looking forward to updates as the story unfolds.
Where did you get the .214~2.16 figure from? as it was certainly not me or my company. The current engines have proven a BSFC of 0.398

Andrew
Old 01-07-2019, 05:44 PM

Default AC Aero (Higgs Diesel) E-330 Hawk Engine

[quote=majuro15;1314681]
The newly launched Higgs Diesel E330 Hawk by AC Aero is a clean sheet, multi-fuel, spark ignited piston engine. While it is primarily meant to burn Jet A, a variety of fuels may be used with minimal performance degradation and no hardware/software changes required.[quote]

I'm intrigued about the "spark ignited" (in fact 2 spark plugs/cylinder). I looked on the website but didn't find any explanation. Most diesels I am familiar with may use a glow plug to preheat the combustion chamber during starting, but when running are "compression ignition" (heat of compression sufficient to ignite the fuel sprayed into the combustion chamber by the injection system).

Andrew?
Old 01-07-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-AERO View Post
Where did you get the .214~2.16 figure from? as it was certainly not me or my company. The current engines have proven a BSFC of 0.398

Andrew
From Tim's post: "Based on scaled test power plants, the Hawk will produce 275 HP at 80% power burning 8.5-9 gallons per hour."

I saw the .398 reference on your site so questioned the discrepancy between the 2 figures. .4 is about the same BSFC as a Lycoming running LOP with proper timing advance.

.398 would mean around 16.6 gph at this hp.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 431.9 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 01-07-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:19 PM

Love it! No 100LL required. Will it fit in a 14?
Good luck!
2019 VAF Donation Complete
Old 01-07-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
From Tim's post: "Based on scaled test power plants, the Hawk will produce 275 HP at 80% power burning 8.5-9 gallons per hour."

I saw the .398 reference on your site so questioned the discrepancy between the 2 figures. .4 is about the same BSFC as a Lycoming running LOP with proper timing advance.

.398 would mean around 16.6 gph at this hp.
Yep, that was why I suggested Tim recheck the information. Not stellar BSFC for a diesel, but if the weight is competitive, then it could be really attractive for markets other than the US/Canada.

Stepped piston, 2 stroke designs are not good for low friction or expansion ratio but, it is a clever way to eliminate a blower, lessen the thermal load on the pistons, and get better power density with lower PCP. The aero application makes the abnormal tradeoffs (for ground based applications) worth investigating.

I do wonder why there is no provision for turbocharging. That is well documented to improve power density and SFC. That would apply to this engine as well, if if the PCP increase can be accommodated. That piston pin looks way too small for any boost, but could be a non-current drawing.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18
Instrument Currency 12-17-18
Shrunken Exit = ??
No Photo? => PM me.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:23 PM

Default Interesting

Popping corn and settling in to watch this show. Could be a long one, but I hope it turns out better than the last several. Please keep us posted!
Old 01-07-2019, 09:11 PM

Default diesel

it is a combined cycle engine, not a compression ignition diesel like most are familiar with...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
EFII System 32 - Done
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues Paid 2018,...Thanks DR+
Old 01-08-2019, 05:24 AM

Default E-330 Hawk

Although the moniker is the Higgs Diesel, my engine is not actually a compression ignition engine. I burn JET A or diesel fuel and it is ignited by spark plugs. We will never have a BSFC reaching a traditional "Diesel". Our target market for the V12 was a replacement for the PT-6 turbo prop where we are very, very competitive on fuel burn. Hope this gives a little clarity to the "diesel" in Higgs Diesel.

Andrew
Old 01-08-2019, 05:28 AM

Default Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Yep, that was why I suggested Tim recheck the information. Not stellar BSFC for a diesel, but if the weight is competitive, then it could be really attractive for markets other than the US/Canada.

Stepped piston, 2 stroke designs are not good for low friction or expansion ratio but, it is a clever way to eliminate a blower, lessen the thermal load on the pistons, and get better power density with lower PCP. The aero application makes the abnormal tradeoffs (for ground based applications) worth investigating.

I do wonder why there is no provision for turbocharging. That is well documented to improve power density and SFC. That would apply to this engine as well, if if the PCP increase can be accommodated. That piston pin looks way too small for any boost, but could be a non-current drawing.
The engines are easily turbocharged and perform very well. So that I might understand your point, what expansion are you referring to exactly what or why are stepped pistons not good for low friction?

Andrew
Old 01-08-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-AERO View Post
Although the moniker is the Higgs Diesel, my engine is not actually a compression ignition engine. I burn JET A or diesel fuel and it is ignited by spark plugs. We will never have a BSFC reaching a traditional "Diesel". Our target market for the V12 was a replacement for the PT-6 turbo prop where we are very, very competitive on fuel burn. Hope this gives a little clarity to the "diesel" in Higgs Diesel.

Andrew
That clears up the confusion. Thanks Andrew.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 431.9 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm