Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-05-2019, 06:24 PM

Default Oil cooler for 390 on RV7

Hey All-

I've searched around the archives for several hours, but I thought I'd post to get the latest advice. I'm going to run an (got hung this week) IO-390 on my 7A.

Looks like hanging it off the baffle would be tight and/or have issues. I think the Show planes remote mount is my best bet for location, but am vacillating between the Aero Classics 10 row and 13.

I've heard/read from some that the 13 is perfect while others say it is too much and they have to block some off most/all of the time.

I realize a lot has to do with where you live and fly, but I am in the Portland, OR area so not a ton of super hot days and while we plan on taking her on longer runs, I am thinking of what is best for 90%+ of my flying, so I am just looking for peoples input before I order.

Thank you!
dan

Last edited by dreed : 01-05-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:56 AM

Default Oil cooler

Hi Dan,
With my angle valve I used vans standard 13 row cooler with the plenum from the 10 all mounted on the firewall fed with a 4 inch scat tube from the back of the baffle. I also installed a butterfly valve with a cable (same as the cabin heat cable) so I can control the temperature that way,in saying that Iím finding that I keep it wide open all the time with cruise temps around 190 degrees.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:34 AM

Default RV10

Just wrapped up the FWF with 390 on my 7 yesterday. Like a few others, I used a RV10 oil cooler mount and cooler with 4" ducting. Not a fun fit!!!! If you are going this way get the cooler and mount now. Don't proceed any further until you get this figured out. There are very few options.

Get the parts and test fit where it needs to go. Facing the firewall, the plenum will be right edge of the recess. With cooler mounted you'll be close to the mount.

I temporarily mounted my engine and figured out where everything needed to go. The goal is to determine where everything must go where you have no choice where it goes. Then work around those items. After determining this, I removed the engine to make mounting all of the items much easier. After struggling through this on my first 7 I went this route and highly recommend it.

Additionally, even with the engine mounted, I still had it on saw horses so I could get to the interior much easier!!
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N707EE-Building
EMS Bell 407,
Eurocopter 350 A-Star Driver

Last edited by RV7Guy : 01-06-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:08 AM

Thank you Cmore and RV7guy!

I was planning on going with this mount from Showplanes after reading some of the horror stories of the RV10 firewall mount. Looks like a nice kit and keeps it off the FW. I'll need new lines and to figure out some sort of butterfly/shutter system it sounds like. Lines are piece of cake, not sure about flow control right now.

Last edited by dreed : 01-06-2019 at 02:31 PM.