VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-02-2019, 10:12 AM

Roger that! Has anyone built a 12 (EAB) with an Edge Performance 912 EFII/turbo? I値l bet that would be one heck of a performer!! When I知 finished with my current -7 project I知 planning on building a Rans S-7 with the EP-912 EFII/turbo setup.

Mark

Last edited by Mark33 : 01-02-2019 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Corrections in category
Old 01-02-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark33 View Post
Roger that! Has anyone built a 12 (E-LSA) with an Edge Performance 912 EFII/turbo? I値l bet that would be one heck of a performer!! When I知 finished with my current -7 project I知 planning on building a Rans S-7 with the EP-912 EFII/turbo setup.
Mark
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the RV-12 E-LSA kit is available with a turbo. That would have to be built as an EAB.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 01-02-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
....I have never seen a screw type hose clamp loosen....
Scott, I've seen a few loosen. I now safety wire all of them.

However, Ive got to say that the only ones that loosened were on the engine manifold or otherwise attached to an engine. Haven't seen any loosen elsewhere, yet.

Key word, "yet." Safety wire them.

And if the airplane doesn't have it designed in, add a drain hole to the belly so that when fuel does leak, at least it'll drain out. Something I still need to do for my RV-3B under construction.

Dave
Old 01-02-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the RV-12 E-LSA kit is available with a turbo. That would have to be built as an EAB.
Sorry Mel, you池e correct. So please insert EAB in the place of E-LSA. As a matter of fact, I値l edit my post.

Mark
Old 01-02-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
Scott, I've seen a few loosen. I now safety wire all of them.

However, Ive got to say that the only ones that loosened were on the engine manifold or otherwise attached to an engine. Haven't seen any loosen elsewhere, yet.

Key word, "yet." Safety wire them.

And if the airplane doesn't have it designed in, add a drain hole to the belly so that when fuel does leak, at least it'll drain out. Something I still need to do for my RV-3B under construction.

Dave
I have seen screw clamps on rubber hoses like used on the induction system of a Lycoming loosen over time, but it is not because the clamp loosens so I was not counting those when I wrote that. Those loosen because the hose shrinks and or gets compressed. Even then it is not a standard practice to safety wire them on a Lycoming engine.
When screw clamps are mounted on something non compressible, they don't loosen. At least not in an application like this.

BTW, hose shrinkage/compression is the reason that I replace the screw hose clamps on a Lycoming with constant tension spring clamps. I just did this on my personal airplane while installing the o-ring seal flanges on the induction tubes that are available from Ross at SDS Aero Products. The spring clamps are even more worthwhile on the oil return tubes, because being aluminum, the expand and contract a lot which causes the hose sections to get loose over time under the fixed tension screw clamps. The spring clamps will always be tight and leak free.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 01-02-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azjulian View Post
Thanks for posting those pictures I was curious about the size of the pumps etc for the injection engine.

Great job on the lines that looks super clean !

I知 not sure why the negative comments because that looks very simple to me considering you have two pumps and it痴 all in one place to inspect, that痴 a great design.
The rv12is provided a great opportunity to fully utilize CNC tube bending technology to provide drop in lines for the 12iS aircraft that the OP of this message utilized in his aircraft.

Here is a video that shows the design process, fabrication, as well as tube final dimension verification.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPJnjjaBMVs

The 10:22 mark is where the actual tube bending begins. The rest of the video shows how the entire process is done from start to finish.

As always, we couldn't have done this without the help of some great beta testers. The RV/ Experimental community is comprised of some great people, and we really enjoy working with you to refine and improve the build experience.

Steve

aircraftspecialty@gmail.com

www.aircraftspecialty.com
www.asflightlines.com
Old 01-03-2019, 07:07 AM

Nice.
When I worked as a maintenance electrician for AC Spark Plug (1980ish) we used tube benders similar to this for mass production of lines for fuel tank units. About 20 benders, running much faster. Definitely an improvement in consistency and accuracy.

Michigan
RV-7
Cessna 140
Old 01-04-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark33 View Post
Roger that! Has anyone built a 12 (EAB) with an Edge Performance 912 EFII/turbo? I値l bet that would be one heck of a performer!! When I知 finished with my current -7 project I知 planning on building a Rans S-7 with the EP-912 EFII/turbo setup.

Mark
I could imagine 155HP to be an overkill for the RV-12. But staying carbed and using their 1484ccm BigBore kit could be an option.
D-MDRV RV-12 #121128 enpenage kit
Donation made til August2109
WTB HomebuiltHelp DVD's for RV-12
Old 01-04-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
BTW, hose shrinkage/compression is the reason that I replace the screw hose clamps on a Lycoming with constant tension spring clamps. I just did this on my personal airplane while installing the o-ring seal flanges on the induction tubes that are available from Ross at SDS Aero Products. The spring clamps are even more worthwhile on the oil return tubes, because being aluminum, the expand and contract a lot which causes the hose sections to get loose over time under the fixed tension screw clamps. The spring clamps will always be tight and leak free.
What are "spring clamps"?
RV-8, first flight 2001 - sold
Old 01-04-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
What are "spring clamps"?
https://www.grainger.com/product/GRA...se-Clamp-2UTG3

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")

Last edited by rvbuilder2002 : 01-04-2019 at 04:15 PM.