VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-01-2019, 02:27 PM

What is dimension of "designed opening"? Are you able to lay down and stick your head/arms/shoulders through the opening?

Maybe someone can show a pic of the entire bulkhead with the opening...
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 406

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 01-01-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
What is dimension of "designed opening"? Are you able to lay down and stick your head/arms/shoulders through the opening?

Maybe someone can show a pic of the entire bulkhead with the opening...
Section 10 shows the access opening in the bottom skin.

As I said, you could get one hand through the opening.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying

Last edited by Tony_T : 01-01-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "get to all of this". Everything you see can be reached through the designed opening. For those that want to stand behind the pumps when working on them, you will have to remove the tail cone I guess.....

The only item that needs to be removed during inspections is the black Andair prefilter.

The silver Rotax filter (up near the top) gets changed initially at 100 hrs and then 200 hr intervals after that. It would be difficult to change working through the bottom access hole, so that is best done through the baggage bulkhead opening.
I am not a young guy anymore but I have had no problem accessing it that way. In our shop we have a piece of plywood that fits the baggage floor. Because of the different fuel tank design, with the seats removed, it is possible to climb into the baggage area and sit on the baggage floor while accessing the fuel pump assembly (may require a tail stand to prevent he fuselage tilting onto the tail).
OK, thanks, questions answered. I think they were pertinent questions; ease of maintenance is a valid concern.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 01-01-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_T View Post
Section 10 shows the access opening in the bottom skin. As I said, you could get one hand through the opening.
No, I mean the "Designed Opening" in the baggage bulkhead. Can you lay down in the baggage compartment and stick your head/arms/shoulders thru the opening so you can see and work on the plumbing?
EAA #499867
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 406

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Old 01-01-2019, 03:38 PM

Another question… with all those hose clamps… wouldn’t it be a good idea to safety wire so they don’t loosen?

EAA #499867

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Old 01-01-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
No, I mean the "Designed Opening" in the baggage bulkhead. Can you lay down in the baggage compartment and stick your head/arms/shoulders thru the opening so you can see and work on the plumbing?
It is the same as the ULS RV-12

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 01-01-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Another questionÖ with all those hose clampsÖ wouldnít it be a good idea to safety wire so they donít loosen?

In all my years working on aircraft professionally, I have never seen a screw type hose clamp loosen, so I am not sure how to answer that question.

Some would say why not? I guess my answer would then be, if it makes you feel better, then safety wire them, but that line of thinking would also make ever using a self locking nut a bad choice.

Bottom line.... use of safety wire is not deemed necessary so it is not specified in the KAI, but if it makes someone feel better, there is nothing wrong with doing it.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 01-02-2019, 08:03 AM

Thanks for posting those pictures I was curious about the size of the pumps etc for the injection engine.

Great job on the lines that looks super clean !

Iím not sure why the negative comments because that looks very simple to me considering you have two pumps and itís all in one place to inspect, thatís a great design.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:03 AM

Iím not a 12 builder, but that sure looks like a lot of plumbing. Why wouldnít you guys use a duel fuel pump setup from SDS or EFII? The way the fuel pumps are mounted in their manifold would really clean things up for you guys. Walbro fuel pumps along with an SDS or EFII duel fuel pump manifold and simple pre and post pump Holly reusable filters would surely clean all of that plumbing up. Iím installing an electronic fuel injection setup with a duplex fuel selector valve with return lines on my -7 build and Iím using the SDS/EFII fuel pump/manifold and it really works well and simplifies things.

Mark
Old 01-02-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark33 View Post
Iím not a 12 builder, but that sure looks like a lot of plumbing. Why wouldnít you guys use a duel fuel pump setup from SDS or EFII? The way the fuel pumps are mounted in their manifold would really clean things up for you guys. Walbro fuel pumps along with an SDS or EFII duel fuel pump manifold and simple pre and post pump Holly reusable filters would surely clean all of that plumbing up. Iím installing an electronic fuel injection setup with a duplex fuel selector valve with return lines on my -7 build and Iím using the SDS/EFII fuel pump/manifold and it really works well and simplifies things.

Mark
The RV-12 and 12iS are certified airplanes. The Rotax 912iS is a certified engine package.

The parts and all of the associated plumbing you see in the photo is either specified for and supplied with the engine by Rotax or is designed to meet a long list (many pages) of engineering requirements for the engine installation.

Bottom line.... Eyeball engineering is not allowed in this situation, and knowing the complexity of the 912iS engine, even if it was it would not be a good idea.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon