Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2018, 03:00 PM

Then there's the Baja Designs XL-80. 80 watts, 9500 lumens at $400 retail.

Ed Holyoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
If you're looking for serious "light", AeroLed has a new light just announced, check out the specs:

Product Features
Highest Performing 14V PAR 36 LED landing light on the market
Power: 95W
14V System Requirement
11,000 Lumens
150,000 Candela
5 Year Warranty
PMA/STC Certified

Retail looks like $650, $700 with integrated wig-wag
Old 12-31-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discus2b View Post
Any info on how much heat is created?
Time limits while ops. on the ground?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
LEDs don’t generate much heat. Less amp draw = less heat.
If you're referring to the Flyleds product, our spotlights have heatsinks on the back of each LED that eventually get to around 60*C/140*F, so LEDs do still generate a fair amount of heat. A 10 watt LED is considered to put out 6 or 7 of that as heat...

The Flyleds lights have no limitations on time to run.
(I recently tested a spotlight on my kitchen bench for seven weeks, that's 1100 hours... I got bored taking the same temp and lumen measurements!)

95 watts of LED light/heat in a PAR36 package, Wow! I look forward to seeing how that's done.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIN2020 View Post
Walt,
I tried to find this light on their website, do you have the PN?
I just got the product announcement last week, not on their site yet but in stock.
I can get you a pair (with a little discount) or email Susan at AeroLeds.

SunSpot 36-4313 Landing
SunSpot 36-4314 Taxi

Also available as an 'H' model which has internal wigwag feature (retail $700).
Email me if you wish and I can send you a PDF

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 12-31-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
I just got the product announcement last week, not on their site yet but in stock.
I can get you a pair (with a little discount) or email Susan at AeroLeds.

SunSpot 36-4313 Landing
SunSpot 36-4314 Taxi

Also available as an 'H' model which has internal wigwag feature (retail $700).
Email me if you wish and I can send you a PDF
Walt, is this $700 each or (hopefully) for a pair?
$100 donation gratefully made (worth every penny)
Old 12-31-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccjbr6 View Post
Walt, is this $700 each or (hopefully) for a pair?
The standard landing lights retail for $349 ea, the high outputs are $650 each, the wigwag feature adds about $50 extra.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 01-02-2019, 02:35 PM

The SunSpot 4313/14 is essentially a 12V version based on our 4596/54 design (28V) that was originally designed for the Pilatus on their PC7/9/21-MKIV platforms and has been in-service for over 4 yrs.

Agreed, as mentioned, they do create a bit of heat that has to be managed and they will throttle down sitting in stationary position (fortunately we design assuming FWD airspeed is required for flight) and leverage the transient airflow resulting from the various pressure differentials that exist on every surface of the aircraft.

Truth-be-known, we do design for the environment where we believe the lights (and light power) is needed most (flight phase) and will sacrifice output at what we deem to be allowable (stationary/ramp). And because of the non-linearity of the eye and how it integrates light, the solution has been received well from users with in-field experience with the lights.

Regards,
Nate
Email – Sales@AeroLEDs.com

While we always strive to respond to private messaging in a timely fashion, for urgent requests please call or email us directly.

Be Safe. Be Seen!
Old 01-03-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroLEDs View Post
The SunSpot 4313/14 is essentially a 12V version based on our 4596/54 design (28V) that was originally designed for the Pilatus on their PC7/9/21-MKIV platforms and has been in-service for over 4 yrs.

Agreed, as mentioned, they do create a bit of heat that has to be managed and they will throttle down sitting in stationary position (fortunately we design assuming FWD airspeed is required for flight) and leverage the transient airflow resulting from the various pressure differentials that exist on every surface of the aircraft.

Truth-be-known, we do design for the environment where we believe the lights (and light power) is needed most (flight phase) and will sacrifice output at what we deem to be allowable (stationary/ramp). And because of the non-linearity of the eye and how it integrates light, the solution has been received well from users with in-field experience with the lights.

Regards,
Nate
Hi Nate,

Just for interest, if this was installed on the typical Duckworks style lead edge mounting plates inside the wing of say an RV-10, where there is no airflow, what would its operating temperatures be and what would the actual light output be at those temps?

Curious minds are ticking over....
RV10: Happy little Vegemite :-)
Feb 2015: Now fully functional..... and quick

http://www.ozrv10.com
Old 01-03-2019, 10:21 AM

Great question. Yes we have tested in that configuration and it works wonderfully.

To help quantify the thermal requirements of air cooled systems (engines or LED lights) you have to consider that we rely on conjugate heat transfer (conduction and convection) to keep the die below critical temperature. Given the variance of the convection coefficient (free to forced) which ranges from 5W/m^2K (inside of 100% sealed box) to 300W/m^2K (saturated steam) the transfer rate is primarily a function of the moving air mass. Given the fact the the wing is surrounded by a huge pressure gradients and wing penetrations (torque tubes etc.), there are huge airflow currents rattling around inside the wing that cool the light. BTW: I found this the hard way 15 yrs ago when I started test flying my Velocity and despite extended efforts of cleaning and vacuuming the main spar/wing root cavity, I was greeted with a "PUFF" of sanding debris on my first flight!!

When we refer to "cooling air" it must not be misconstrued as "blast air" but rather interpreted as "moving air" to help stir the cooling medium and impinge/penetrate localized boundary layers at the heatsink (e.g. blowing on back of light with straw will increase the convective coefficient by 10x above static condition). Typical installations (as you describe) will result in heatsink temps that stabilize at ~10-20C delta temp above above ambient and light out put would be 100% until ambient conditions exceed 80C (since my grandmother and 'mum' are from Australia, I know it gets hot "down uunda" but think that 80C flying is still a rarity in them parts...GRIN)

Regards,
Nate

While we always strive to respond to private messaging in a timely fashion, for urgent requests please call or email us directly.

Be Safe. Be Seen!

Last edited by AeroLEDs : 01-03-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:42 PM

Default Wig Wag

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but since the topic came up about wig wag vs non wig wag lights it sparked a question.

If you are using the Garmin G3X setup which includes the wig wag functionality in the GAD27 that routes the power to the lights, then do you need to spend the extra money on the wig wag enabled lights or will the standard lights function in the wig wag mode under the Garmin's control?
Empennage Complete
Wings in Progress
Research on-going
Old 01-04-2019, 09:23 AM

I dont have a wiring diagram of that system, but there are three possible scenarios:

1) If the Garmin sends a control-level signal (3-5V) that is a status (High or Low), then yes you would need the Wig/Wag lights and slave them to a relay

2) If the Garmin sends a control-level signal (3-5V) that is changing states (High/Low/High) then no you don't need the Wig/Wag lights and can slave them to a relay controlled by the control signal;

3) If the Garmin can sink a large current (5-8A) then it can act as the wig/wag source and functionally turn lights on and off directly, thus don't need the Wig/Wag.

Hope that helps!
Nate

Be Safe. Be Seen!