VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-30-2018, 04:26 PM

Default Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B

I'm trying to figure out what kind of device to get for my 2010 RV12, either the GDL 82 or Sky Beacon, the GDL 82 antenna placement has me concerned. I would like to place it under the engine cowl next to my GPS antenna that would be easier but would it create problems? Or the Sky Beacon, has anyone put these on their RV 12's? ...The Sky Beacon seems the simplest but simple sometimes has issues, I can use some advice...thanks.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg56 View Post
I would like to place it under the engine cowl next to my GPS antenna that would be easier but would it create problems?
See... http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...&postcount=101

No problems installing two GPS antennas next to each other under fiberglass cowling.
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 406

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 12-30-2018, 07:24 PM

I recently installed Uavionix Skyfi-EXT in a friends RV6. Installed the GPS on the turtle deck and spike on the belly. Works great and in in and out. Passes the FAA test.
You may find a difference in the required GPS reception for ADSB versus navigation requirements.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post

No problems installing two GPS antennas next to each other under fiberglass cowling.
Yep, no problem at all. I have three Garmin gps antennas under my fiberglass cowling. One WAAS and two non-WAAS. Havenít noticed any issues.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:19 AM

Now to figure out what to buy that will work the best and easy to install...

Last edited by bobg56 : 12-31-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrisl View Post
Installed the GPS on the turtle deck and spike on the belly.
In the RV-12, I agree that the turtle deck would be the theoretically-best place for the GPS antenna due to the large ground plane. Unfortunately, the installation seems problematic. To gain access, I understand you have to remove the gas tank and the rear bulkhead. My RV-12 buddy is contemplating installing a GDL-82 and really doesn't want the installation to become a major project. The next best option (electrically speaking) would be on top of the deck in front of the canopy. It might be visually offensive in that location, though. Although it violates all the guidelines from Garmin, I guess I'll advise him to put the antenna in the engine compartment like others have done successfully.

Regarding the spike antenna - since you will be broadcasting on both 978 MHz and 1090 MHz you will have better performance with a broadband "blade" antenna like the Comant or Delta Pop. Both are available from ACS.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:59 PM

I purchased the GDL-82 with GPS kit, no instruction manual or coax cable included. I did see the instructions for the Mooney install, should I use these instructions? and what about the cable length for the GPS antenna, is there a minimum length?...I thought the kit would have all instructions and needed cable, a little disappointed but I can get the cables made that I need...anyone who has already put one of these in your RV12, I sure could use your help...thanks, Bob
Old 01-09-2019, 05:18 PM

This is the install manual I used.

https://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog...l82install.pdf

I ordered my unit from Stein Air since I knew I would have a lot of questions and they were very good about answering them for me. Based on information from Stein, the coax should be RG400 and between the GPS antenna and the GDL-82 should be 6.5 feet minimum. The run from the transponder to the transponder antenna should also be 6.5 feet minimum. The run from the GDL-82 to the transponder is not length limited and can be any length. Any excess cable can just be coiled up and secured wherever it is convenient.
RV-8 (Bought Flying)
Glasair Sportsman (Sold)
RV-8 Tail, QB Fuselage (Sold)
RV-4 (Bought Flying) (Sold)
RV-9 Tail
RV-12 120018 Flying (Sold)
RV-7 Tail, Wings, Started Fuse (Sold)
Old 01-09-2019, 05:53 PM

Default Minimum length of RG400

Would sure like to verify that the RG400 cable must be minimum 6.5í. Iím planning minimum distances between the GDL82 unit and the 1) existing transponder antenna currently between the main gear and 2) the newly installed gps antenna which I anticipate placing on the tip up glare shield. Both of these coax runs will be much less than 6.5í. Is coiling the coax to achieve 6.5í necessary?

Jim Diehl 7A
Lock Haven, Pa
Old 01-09-2019, 06:06 PM

I'm looking at placing the unit inside the forward area where all the other avionics is located, close to the transponder, that will be a shorter cable, but I'll have to coil the 6.5', then mount the GPS antenna under the engine cowl next to the GPS nav antenna..other guys have said that works.