VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-28-2018, 07:59 AM
Kooshball Kooshball is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 10
Default Average RV6 Empty Weight?

As soon as I began my shopping journey I discovered what may be a limiting factor to the RV6; the max aerobatic gross weight. I do have the advantage of only weighing 140lbs so my direct contribution is lower than most but I would still like to safely get dual aerobatic instruction in whatever plane I end up buying. Is there a good average empty weight established for the many 6s flying today so that I can estimate usefull aerobatic load?

Thx
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-28-2018, 08:21 AM
Pilotjkl Pilotjkl is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Seminole Tx (GNC)
Posts: 37
Default

Just Had mine on scales and My RV-6 0-320-E3D metal prop VFR panel weighs 1020 lbs
__________________
RV-6 0-320 160hp
Cessna 170A
King Air B200 Blackhawk conversion
2019 dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-28-2018, 08:26 AM
Sam Buchanan's Avatar
Sam Buchanan Sam Buchanan is offline
been here awhile
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 3,851
Default

When my RV-6 (O-320 fixed metal prop) first flew it weighed 1010 lbs. Nearly twenty years later it would still be close to that number since the old battery and starter have been replaced with lighter versions. The older the RV-6 the lighter is will most likely be--newer RV's tend to be loaded with more conveniences and heavier props.
__________________
Sam Buchanan
1999 RV-6
1918 Fokker D.VII replica
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-28-2018, 10:50 AM
JonJay's Avatar
JonJay JonJay is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Battleground
Posts: 4,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshball View Post
....I would still like to safely get dual aerobatic instruction in whatever plane I end up buying.
Thx
If you consider the 1375# factory number as “safe”, move on to another model. The 6 is effectively not a dual aerobatic airplane.
1000# empty weight is very light for a 6. #1100 is middle of the road, and I have seen some real porkers we’ll beyond that.

Now, don’t tell this to the fleet of 6 jockeys that have thousands of hours of dual aerobatic operations. So far, nobody has broken anything, but that doesn’t mean it can’t happen to any airplane.

You will never get a “feel good”’ number beyond the 1375#.
__________________
Smart People do Stupid things all the time. I know, I've seen me do'em.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-28-2018, 11:15 AM
Snowflake's Avatar
Snowflake Snowflake is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 3,270
Default

999# empty, with Sensenich metal FP prop and VFR panel.

Get some dual in something like a Citabria or even a Cessna Aerobat. Once you're comfortable with the manoeuvers, doing them two-up and staying well within the Utility range of +4.4/-2.2 is pretty easy... You don't need 4G for a loop unless you're competing, for example. Keep in mind the 1375# limit assumes +6/-4 limits, which allows for screw-ups. Don't screw up.
__________________
Rob Prior
1996 RV-6 "Tweety" C-FRBP (formerly N196RV)

Last edited by Snowflake : 12-28-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-04-2019, 07:11 AM
Kooshball Kooshball is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 10
Default

Thx folks!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-04-2019, 08:07 AM
rv7charlie rv7charlie is online now
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pocahontas MS
Posts: 3,333
Default

Read the responses to your earlier thread carefully. Regardless of weights, if you are inexperienced with acro do *not* try to teach yourself in any 'clean' a/c like an RV, T-18, Mustang II, etc. And if you get instruction in one, make sure the instructor has experience in that type plane.

The 1st time I rolled my new-to-me T-18, I split-S-d out of it. If I hadn't had an instructor with me, I probably wouldn't be here now. And many years ago, a friend tried to teach himself acro in a M-II (well under acro gross) and killed himself by pulling the tail off.

All three of the types fly great, but they aren't intended to be trainers. They're so clean that they can overspeed very easily, which can lead to flutter, or to excessive Gs when trying to pull out of a down-line. The acro trainers tend to be somewhat G limited just like the RVs (ex: you shouldn't do 2-up acro in a Decathalon with full fuel), but they're harder to get to VNE due to drag.

Charlie
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-04-2019, 10:33 AM
Kooshball Kooshball is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
Read the responses to your earlier thread carefully. Regardless of weights, if you are inexperienced with acro do *not* try to teach yourself in any 'clean' a/c like an RV, T-18, Mustang II, etc. And if you get instruction in one, make sure the instructor has experience in that type plane.

The 1st time I rolled my new-to-me T-18, I split-S-d out of it. If I hadn't had an instructor with me, I probably wouldn't be here now. And many years ago, a friend tried to teach himself acro in a M-II (well under acro gross) and killed himself by pulling the tail off.

All three of the types fly great, but they aren't intended to be trainers. They're so clean that they can overspeed very easily, which can lead to flutter, or to excessive Gs when trying to pull out of a down-line. The acro trainers tend to be somewhat G limited just like the RVs (ex: you shouldn't do 2-up acro in a Decathalon with full fuel), but they're harder to get to VNE due to drag.

Charlie
I fully understand your point and the reasons behind it. There is no chance that try and teach myself acro in an RV or anything else...dual is the only way for me.some of my fondest aviation memories are from the back seat of an RV4 doing gentleman’s acro. I want to get to the point where I can enjoy and share that feeling safely.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-04-2019, 10:50 AM
JonJay's Avatar
JonJay JonJay is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Battleground
Posts: 4,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshball View Post
I fully understand your point and the reasons behind it. There is no chance that try and teach myself acro in an RV or anything else...dual is the only way for me.some of my fondest aviation memories are from the back seat of an RV4 doing gentleman’s acro. I want to get to the point where I can enjoy and share that feeling safely.
I think you are on a good path to get that done.
__________________
Smart People do Stupid things all the time. I know, I've seen me do'em.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-04-2019, 11:33 AM
DeeCee 57's Avatar
DeeCee 57 DeeCee 57 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Zürich W, Switzerland, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, known Universe...
Posts: 27
Default

1080lbs on my 360 C/S powered model
__________________
Life's short... Enjoy!

DC

RV-4 HB-YVZ airframe builder
RV-6 slider HB-YLL owner
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:51 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.