Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2018, 12:53 PM

bkervaski, review the last page of section 35, 35-22 especially Section A-A, before you get too far along. It does look as if the tank sealant has some fillet on top of the F-01455-C flanges.

My quick build kit also has what looks to be more sealant than the plans show, but so far (touch wood!) hasn't been a problem with the canopy operation.

Good luck! And let us know how you address the issues.

RV-14A Complete!
Airworthiness cert issued June 27, 2018
Old 12-27-2018, 01:23 PM

@Logan have you painted yet?
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Flying!
Old 12-27-2018, 04:04 PM

Default Me too, plus another QB fuselage disappointment

The same thing happened to me months back after finishing up the canopy and glassing the fillet transition to the canopy plexiglas.

After resetting the canopy frame onto the fuselage (a QB fuselage) and closing it and then opening it, the canopy skin at the right canopy hinge caught and deformed with an ugly 'pop'. At first I thought it was that the front edge of the canopy skin needed to be filed to allow more clearance to the forward top fuselage skin. Did a little filing and closed and reopened canopy - 'pop'. A little more inspection to realize that it was an excessive amount of a proseal bead that was tacking to the canopy skin and holding it to the point of bending the edge before it released when opening the canopy.

What I did that seems to have worked, is to carefully cut/scrape the proseal with a few different Xacto blades. Seems to keep it from sticking and now to straighten out/fill/blend-in the deformed skin before I paint.

Something that I found to be questionable about the 14A QB fuselage is that I did not believe that the interior of the fuselage had not been primed in the Philippines with the reported SW etching primer (light brownish green colored). My QB fuselage interior had no primer - I believed, at least there was no visible primer.

At the time, two years ago, I checked with Van's and was told that the primer was there, but it is 'clear'. A bit surprised with that, but accepted the explanation. Now, after having others look at the 'primed' areas that never got any paint applied and to areas where I did put another paint coat on. Where I did over-coat the 'primer', the paint rubs off with not much effort. In the areas where I did not paint over, a couple of aircraft and car painters agree with me that there is no 'clear' primer there, that it's bare aluminum - in their opinion. I have done a little scraping here and there and I do not believe that there is 'clear' primer there. I should have done my own priming.
RV14A (N14ZT), Ser#140195
Start 10/11/14
Dues paid 12/2/18 (USArmy 2/67-2/70)
www.mykitlog.com/jeffw@sc47

!! I SURVIVED RIPON ARRIVAL - KOSH 7/21/2018 !!
Old 12-27-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw@sc47 View Post

Something that I found to be questionable about the 14A QB fuselage is that I did not believe that the interior of the fuselage had not been primed in the Philippines with the reported SW etching primer (light brownish green colored). My QB fuselage interior had no primer - I believed, at least there was no visible primer.

At the time, two years ago, I checked with Van's and was told that the primer was there, but it is 'clear'. A bit surprised with that, but accepted the explanation. Now, after having others look at the 'primed' areas that never got any paint applied and to areas where I did put another paint coat on. Where I did over-coat the 'primer', the paint rubs off with not much effort. In the areas where I did not paint over, a couple of aircraft and car painters agree with me that there is no 'clear' primer there, that it's bare aluminum - in their opinion. I have done a little scraping here and there and I do not believe that there is 'clear' primer there. I should have done my own priming.
All QB kits are internally primed, but it isn't super obvious to someone expecting it to look like a traditional pigmented primer.

If you place a piece of bare aluminum on an interior surface, it is then obvious that there is a very contrasting difference in appearance.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 12-28-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
@Logan have you painted yet?
Yes, painted. And looking at 35-22 again more closely, I think I have similar proseal application to yours. Meaning, it doesn't taper off at top of the bend in the F-01455 but goes to the top skin, F-01471.

I'm not sure why it isn't sticking on ours, but am glad it hasn't. Where exactly is it catching? Right above the hinge locations? I think I remember doing some filing here, but honestly can't be sure...

RV-14A Complete!
Airworthiness cert issued June 27, 2018
Old 12-28-2018, 09:29 AM

The little ding on the front of the canopy happened to me too before I painted. I think it still ended up with a little kink in the skin, and if I remember right, I had to do a little filing as well. All the details are fuzzy now as that was probably almost 3 years ago, but I did have it happen there in the same spot.
RV-10/14 Transition Training: http://www.RVCFI.com
Old 12-28-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Yes, painted. And looking at 35-22 again more closely, I think I have similar proseal application to yours. Meaning, it doesn't taper off at top of the bend in the F-01455 but goes to the top skin, F-01471.
I have almost 20 hours on the airplane since I got it back from paint and it just now did that ... so beware ... temperature changes, etc, may cause it to happen. Doesn't take much and you don't know it's happening until you hear the dreaded "pop".

I'm going to remove that proseal and run it correctly.

My problem is I'm not going to be able to live with that line looking like **** afterwards so it's going to cost me a few $$ to get the painter to fix it.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:50 AM

Are there consensuses that the proseal sticks to the skin and pulls it down when it is lifted or that the edge of skin digs in to the proseal and gets bent
Dues paid
Old 12-28-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Are there consensuses that the proseal sticks to the skin and pulls it down when it is lifted or that the edge of skin digs in to the proseal and gets bent
Looks like a combination of both. The proseal and skin get "tacky", perhaps temperature related, and that's enough to hold it in place until the edge digs in as you raise it.

The red line shows where the QB sealant was applied and can potentially (likely, eventually) cause the issue.

Per the manual, there should be no sealant on top of F-01455 aft of F-01471 and no opportunity for the canopy forward edge to grab the sealant.

Edit: In fairness to the QB folks, I didn't have many issues with my QB fuse and wings, they were very well built, only minor issues, I would buy a QB again. However, to have my beautifully painted canopy take a hit like this is a bit heartbreaking and the month of downtime it's going to cause me is frustrating.

Last edited by bkervaski : 12-28-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:32 AM

I wonder if humid weather causes proseal to be sticker? From all I have seen, proseal once cured it will not seem tacky anymore. Perhaps it gets softer and easier to dig into.
Do you have your front seal in place? It is a soft foam and when closed it gets flattened and spread to more area. One would think it will be a layer between the skin and proseal but not at the very forward edge.

I will examine mine today, not sure how well I can see with the canopy in place. I suspect it comes up to the F-1455 but not on the 1471.

I got one more hour to get out of jail, end of phase one. Today will be signing ceremony, so speak.
Dues paid