- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2018, 06:38 PM

Default Fm-150 with airflow bracket mix cable way too long

My mixture cable is far too long. What did y’all do with the extra length? I have the bracket installed per the airflow instruction and threads on here. I got creative and routed around the mount to take up some slack and will need some Adels..
Urologist, AME

Last edited by JDA_BTR : 12-22-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:06 PM

Just installed mine today and seems "just right" using the bracket from Airflow and positioned per Nova RV's recommendations.

Ran the cable down from the center pass-through directly to the bracket.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:13 PM

Default Mine fit with the stock cables

I flipped the mixture bracket (the part that attaches to the big plate and holds the cable jam-nuts) 180-degrees so the tab is on the forward edge. It is opposite of the picture in the instructions. I get full travel on the mixture control and it fits. Throttle bracket is per the plans. Maybe someday Iíll actually run the motor and verify it works.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHartline View Post
I flipped the mixture bracket (the part that attaches to the big plate and holds the cable jam-nuts) 180-degrees so the tab is on the forward edge. It is opposite of the picture in the instructions. I get full travel on the mixture control and it fits. Throttle bracket is per the plans. Maybe someday Iíll actually run the motor and verify it works.
This is what I was referring to in referencing Nova RV's experience. I get the impression that someday in the near future a bunch of RV-14/14A's are suddenly going to fly on the same day....
Old 12-23-2018, 08:18 AM

Well mine is definitely too long by a couple of inches. Maybe it is just made that way. I brought it straight down and then circled the inboard lower mount leg (14A). It has the feature of going exactly halfway between the exhaust pipes like that instead of rubbing which is what it looked to do coming straight in. Will place an adel on it to keep it off the mount leg.

I also found that the bolt supplied by Airflow Performance for my mixture arm was too long to install with the nut between the arm and engine as showed in the pics. I reversed it with nut down and operates fine that way.

I've also got a whole bag of brackets and nuts/washers that I'm not going to use because of not using the Van's stock setup. Oh well; I needed just a couple of things out of it for the governor cable. If I was ordering again I'd omit the Van's cable part bag and buy the rod ends/washers/etc as loose parts.

I'm also super happy with the way the SteinAir custom cable control panel looks. It is super sturdy. I put masking tape over the part while I drilled the holes up to size.

Urologist, AME

Last edited by JDA_BTR : 12-23-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:21 AM

Default Maybe you got an incorrect part

Mine is a taildragger and I used a Vetterman exhaust but even with that modification the stock cables still worked. I would guess that the tri-gear has different length cables. If you haven’t already done it you might could check with Vans to make sure you got the right part.

I also had my mechanic look at my cable runs before I did anything permanent for a sanity check. Actually two of them.

Oh...and I wish, wish, wish I had angled my CB panel like that. I love it but I’m curious how it affects access to the tunnel,and the fuel pump.

Last edited by JHartline : 12-23-2018 at 10:24 AM. Reason: More words
Old 12-23-2018, 10:57 AM

You canít get at the pump with the CB panel in. I laid in the power cabling such that the unit can be angled down and aft then extended together further aft and finally up to give good access. The cabling comes in low at the back and then runs up from there to all the CB.

As to the cable I could ask vans to swap it out they probably did send me one that is too long. But then Iíd have to take it all apart and I like the trajectory I achieved avoiding the exhaust. I will also have a local mechanic check it out. But if I secure it properly it should be fine.
Urologist, AME
Old 12-23-2018, 11:25 AM

My cable is too long as well for the FM150 routing but nothing that canít be used. I suspect the standard routing required the extra length.
RV14A #140083
Down to last 1%. Targeting June 1 for first flight.
2018 Donation+
Old 12-23-2018, 02:24 PM

How did you decide to run it?
Urologist, AME
Old 12-23-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDA_BTR View Post
How did you decide to run it?
I havenít finalized it yet, waiting to install the exhaust. Right now it just comes through the center pass through and down to the plate. The excess kind of makes an gentle ďSĒ turn underneath the panel.
RV14A #140083
Down to last 1%. Targeting June 1 for first flight.
2018 Donation+