What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Packing bears with rubber seal

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Unlike the RV-7A, the bearings that come with the RV-12iS mains have the rubber seals. I used the Handy Packer as I did with open bearings, but you can't really see proof that the grease when where it needed to go like you can with the open bearings . And obviously, since we're in assembly, there's no old dirty grease inside to tell the tale.

I'm not a big fan of the "palm method" because it's messy and I think that rubber seal gets in the way.

I saw a reference somewhere to a needle that Matco sells (which I bought just because I had $6 lying around doing nothing productive) for "sealed" bearings , but these aren't really sealed in the classic sense, right?

So what is your preferred method?.

Nitrile gloves and palm. Just did it yesterday during my second annual on the 8. Worked perfect. Just use mineral spirits to clean and dry with compressor w/o spinning with the air.

Maybe it's the eggnogg....but the title of your thread brought up visions of polar bears feasting on rubber seals.......

I have used my old Blue Point packer for years with no issues. When you see the grease oozing out around the top of the roller near the seal and the bear doesn’t want to spin, it’s a safe bet it’s ok.

Last edited:
Unlike the RV-7A, the bearings that come with the RV-12iS mains have the rubber seals. I used the Handy Packer as I did with open bearings, but you can't really see proof that the grease when where it needed to go like you can with the open bearings . And obviously, since we're in assembly, there's no old dirty grease inside to tell the tale.

I'm not a big fan of the "palm method" because it's messy and I think that rubber seal gets in the way.

I saw a reference somewhere to a needle that Matco sells (which I bought just because I had $6 lying around doing nothing productive) for "sealed" bearings , but these aren't really sealed in the classic sense, right?

So what is your preferred method?.

I have never heard of packing a sealed bearing, they will last forever. Is there some publication that recommends this with proof of need?

Good to hear you still exist Bob, I sent you an email.

I have never heard of packing a sealed bearing, they will last forever. Is there some publication that recommends this with proof of need?

Actually, the bearing discussed is not a sealed bearing; it's a bearing with an integral seal:

i-pwHMVxH.png

Actually, the bearing discussed is not a sealed bearing; it's a bearing with an integral seal:

i-pwHMVxH.png

And all is revealed !!! I withdraw my question.

His comment about a needle valve led me to the different conclusion.

just FYI, i was able to use a regular bearing packer tool (Lisle #34550 Handy Packer Bearing Packer) without any issue due to the integral seal.

I thought maybe the seal (plastic) would crack or snap.. but it was fine... its pliable.

The tool did a better job than I could ever do by hand. the bearing weighed a ton after i packed it... lots of grease inside!

This topic went round and round on the VAF facebook page, thanks to the OP wanting to use a needle to inject grease into a sealed bearing - when, in fact, it was this type of bearing with an integrated/bonded outer seal.

I think/hope we finally convinced him not to use the injection needle to re-pack his bearings.

Back