VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-21-2018, 02:49 PM
LettersFromFlyoverCountry's Avatar
LettersFromFlyoverCountry LettersFromFlyoverCountry is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN.
Posts: 4,721
Default Packing bears with rubber seal

Unlike the RV-7A, the bearings that come with the RV-12iS mains have the rubber seals. I used the Handy Packer as I did with open bearings, but you can't really see proof that the grease when where it needed to go like you can with the open bearings . And obviously, since we're in assembly, there's no old dirty grease inside to tell the tale.

I'm not a big fan of the "palm method" because it's messy and I think that rubber seal gets in the way.

I saw a reference somewhere to a needle that Matco sells (which I bought just because I had $6 lying around doing nothing productive) for "sealed" bearings , but these aren't really sealed in the classic sense, right?

So what is your preferred method?.
__________________
Bob Collins
St. Paul, MN.
Blog: Letters From Flyover Country
Almost ready to start the RV-12iS finishing kit. 480 hours in.

Builder log
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-21-2018, 05:31 PM
ILikePike ILikePike is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Eatonton, GA
Posts: 209
Default

Nitrile gloves and palm. Just did it yesterday during my second annual on the 8. Worked perfect. Just use mineral spirits to clean and dry with compressor w/o spinning with the air.
__________________
Jeff Green
2016 RV-8 #82985
1968 E33C Aerobatic Bonanza
Pleased to donate Dec 2018
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-21-2018, 05:53 PM
Sam Buchanan's Avatar
Sam Buchanan Sam Buchanan is online now
been here awhile
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 3,851
Default

Maybe it's the eggnogg....but the title of your thread brought up visions of polar bears feasting on rubber seals.......
__________________
Sam Buchanan
1999 RV-6
1918 Fokker D.VII replica
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-21-2018, 06:26 PM
Dave12 Dave12 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Elkton, Md.
Posts: 1,376
Default

I have used my old Blue Point packer for years with no issues. When you see the grease oozing out around the top of the roller near the seal and the bear doesn’t want to spin, it’s a safe bet it’s ok.
__________________
Wag Aero Sport Trainer
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold
N73DF RV12 #244 Flying
Rans S21 Outbound (Coming soon)

Last edited by Dave12 : 12-23-2018 at 06:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-21-2018, 06:50 PM
Piper J3's Avatar
Piper J3 Piper J3 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Hinckley, Ohio
Posts: 1,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
Maybe it's the eggnogg....but the title of your thread brought up visions of polar bears feasting on rubber seals.......
They don't do polar bars in Alabama...
__________________
-
Jim Stricker
Hinckley, Ohio
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 406

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-23-2018, 10:21 AM
EXflyer EXflyer is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chiloquin OR
Posts: 93
Default

Was wondering about the bear deal, ha click bait yup. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-23-2018, 02:12 PM
BillL BillL is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central IL
Posts: 4,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettersFromFlyoverCountry View Post
Unlike the RV-7A, the bearings that come with the RV-12iS mains have the rubber seals. I used the Handy Packer as I did with open bearings, but you can't really see proof that the grease when where it needed to go like you can with the open bearings . And obviously, since we're in assembly, there's no old dirty grease inside to tell the tale.

I'm not a big fan of the "palm method" because it's messy and I think that rubber seal gets in the way.

I saw a reference somewhere to a needle that Matco sells (which I bought just because I had $6 lying around doing nothing productive) for "sealed" bearings , but these aren't really sealed in the classic sense, right?

So what is your preferred method?.
I have never heard of packing a sealed bearing, they will last forever. Is there some publication that recommends this with proof of need?

Good to hear you still exist Bob, I sent you an email.
__________________
Bill

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18
Instrument Currency 12-17-18
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-23-2018, 02:29 PM
Tony_T's Avatar
Tony_T Tony_T is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lacey, WA
Posts: 1,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
I have never heard of packing a sealed bearing, they will last forever. Is there some publication that recommends this with proof of need?
Actually, the bearing discussed is not a sealed bearing; it's a bearing with an integral seal:

__________________
Tony
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-23-2018, 02:51 PM
BillL BillL is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central IL
Posts: 4,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_T View Post
Actually, the bearing discussed is not a sealed bearing; it's a bearing with an integral seal:

And all is revealed !!! I withdraw my question.

His comment about a needle valve led me to the different conclusion.
__________________
Bill

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18
Instrument Currency 12-17-18
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-23-2018, 08:44 PM
rcarsey rcarsey is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 63
Default

just FYI, i was able to use a regular bearing packer tool (Lisle #34550 Handy Packer Bearing Packer) without any issue due to the integral seal.

I thought maybe the seal (plastic) would crack or snap.. but it was fine... its pliable.

The tool did a better job than I could ever do by hand. the bearing weighed a ton after i packed it... lots of grease inside!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:57 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.