VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-17-2018, 09:53 PM

Default Your in the middle

Your in the middle of hundreds and hundreds of RVs living in Keller.
Please feel free to come to Hicks T67 and see my RV Central Build Center.
I have RV projects building here. Come see how itís done.
We have a restaurant on field. So come hungry.
Jay Pratt VAF #2
RV Central - Builder Assistance
Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter
Old 12-17-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPnLIP View Post
What the heck do I do now?
1. Go see Jay Pratt and take a ride with one of the people who have offered.
2. Order that tail kit.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014 (N88VX reserved)
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XPIO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Hillsboro, OR (EAA 105)

Old 12-18-2018, 04:50 AM

Reading with interest from someone with similar building desires, no experience, and living in the same area. Work in the Alliance area, live fairly close to T67. Love the enthusiasm and incredible support offered by all.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:01 AM

Default Building probably makes sense...

...as it would probably be tough to find a nice used RV-9. Even a good 9A usually takes a lengthy search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
The -9 taildragger is sort of the unicorn of the RV fleet and turns out to be the best handling one of the bunch.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugaru View Post
...as it would probably be tough to find a nice used RV-9. Even a good 9A usually takes a lengthy search.
If you can find an unfinished kit, you can convert it and sell off the parts specific to the "A".
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 12-18-2018, 10:32 AM

I went through the same model evaluation; I was set on building a 9A. My EAA chapter is even building one so I had some real time exposure to the kit and build methods. After all that I chose to build the Rv-12 instead.
A couple points;
The 9 kit is fairly bare bones compared to some of the newer vans kits (like the 12 and 14). You will need to put a LOT of work and time into it. My 12 kit has step by step directions, the 9 you get a bunch of big plans. There are videos produced for both and I strongly encourage getting them whatever you build.
For some of the build you will really need a helper. I didnít have that readily available and the 12 you can build 100% by yourself.
The 9 is faster but I expect to have my 12 finished years earlier. So I decided to fly a little slower but way sooner. I calculated the time difference on a 500 mile trip would not be that great.
The Rotax is a modern engine; there is no mixture, etc. Itís almost car simple. On top of that Vans revised the kit into the 12iS and now itís even better.
There are probably other differences but those are the ones that quickly to mind

Good luck building whatever you pick!
Tail 99% done
Wings 99% done
12IS fuse kit in progress
Dues paid 2019
Old 12-18-2018, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dugaru View Post

I have a really good 9A. Come and see it and fly with me once I get my Dynon D100 back with repaired back screen lighting

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...tOXzdSOXZyMGdR
Old 12-18-2018, 01:52 PM

Default Some similar thoughts on an RV-9

Rich,

I went through a very similar decision tree a few months ago when I decided to build a plane. Funnily enough, I arrived at some of the same conclusions you've drawn based on hours TT, ease of build, stretching my piloting skills a little, and cost and settled on the -9. Similarly I've been looking at engine / prop combinations, and the IO-320 & catto prop was one way I thought to go, though I have considered GA props, and also after some other advice might look at a Blended Airfoil CS Hartzell prop. These are all things years down the track, as I only started my empennage in August. All the usual prime vs not prime, tip-up vs slider, CS vs FP, Carby vs FI are questions for you to ask and answer for yourself once you do your research.

I wanted a plane I could call my own, one that I had built and therefore knew everything about it. Aerobatics wasn't really on my radar - just something fast and economical so I could fly the large distances here in Australia quickly and in comfort, without having to hire a C182 burning 50l/hr.

The "tedium" of cleco /drill / deburr / countersink / dimple / prime / cleco / rivet / drill out rivet & do it properly isn't tedious at all, and I really enjoy doing it. It's very fulfilling when you look at some tiny little part that you've prepared nicely, and have assembled it together with other little bits to make something beautiful and functional.

Take the time to plan out what you want to do, and think a few steps ahead so you don't end up having to double back and hack something apart, but there's lots of advice about this in the plans (considering wiring routes etc when assembling parts).

In short, you're not mad. My wife was the one who strongly suggested I build a plane actually, so without her prodding me I mightn't have started, but I'm also safe in the knowledge that she supports me building, just as I support her through her pursuits.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:58 PM

Default Whoa Horsie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPnLIP View Post
But my primary motivation for building the plane is to share it with others.
After months of careful consideration, and hundreds of hours spent here researching, I have finally decided to build the RV-9.
1. Should I get my head examined before ordering the kit?
Rich,
Thirty years ago this week I ordered my RV-4 tail kit.
My RV choice was easy, One or Two seat.(3 or 4) I had never flown, or seen one close up, only read an ad in Kitplanes.
The Nine is a good airplane, but ALL of them are good airplanes. I'm on my Third RV if that says anything to you about the design.

My advice?
1. Don't worry about engines, props, panels or anything other than establishing the basics, yet.
Get a ride, see if you like it and if it's for you.

2. Now, can I build an RV?
Time management, motivation, long hours and $$$ have taken their toll in the past with a 40% completion rate.
Be one of the 40%

3. Buy a tail kit, take a class if necessary or visit Jay at RV Central and start banging.
Let the games begin....

V/R
Smokey

Last edited by smokyray : 12-18-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:25 PM

Default Yeti full of fish?

I have a 9A tip-up at Lancaster, TX. Happy to give you a ride if you want to see what a 160hp constant speed prop feels like... Don't let people tell you that you have to have a slider in TX, the prop makes a lot of wind on the ground!

My only concern is that you want to bring back a Yeti full of fish - and that's going to be tight in the baggage compartment, if it fits at all. Maybe a soft-sided cooler... maybe.

Consider the Quickbuild... it saves a lot of time.