VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-17-2018, 09:27 AM

I've been flying my self built 9A for 7 years already, 0-320 with a 3 blade Catto prop. I have the anti splat nose gear brace and skid for security with grass landings, the nose wheel is for steering/taxiing only. It's a great x country machine and is good in high density altitude also. I like to trout fish but I fly to the Texas coast for the big ones from 52F the home of VAF. loads of people to talk to there and also on this site. Good luck!!
I'm also in Keller.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:37 AM

Not much to add to the above. I think a -9 with big tires would be a more capable "bush aircraft" than 90% of pilots could use, so I'm tracking with you thought process so far.

As to the build vs. buy issue: Be honest with yourself. Yep, it's probably a big feeling of accomplishment to build. Reading your post though, it seems like you are really focused on the flying part. If this is the compelling end use (to fly), then buy one.

You can also read page after page about the CS vs FP issue. RV's fly fine with both, but one area that's not in dispute is the ability of the CS to get you off the ground and climbing significantly quicker than a FP. The CS also has advantages on approach and landing. Frankly, your "mission" requires long efficient cruise flight AND max effort ground performance. That's the defining characteristic of a CS. Ergo, you need a CS prop for this bird.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 12-17-2018, 09:50 AM

Default Trout in Texas...

Clearly, the snow melt fed mountain streams in Texas are limited, but there are indeed rainbow trout in some of the lakes and rivers - with a little help from the TPWD.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish...stocking.phtml

And the specs on the coast are indeed trout!

But to your point of a plane to make trips to the hills and mountains, I think you're on just the right track. Is the -9 better handling?? Not so sure about that, but it is a very sweet plane to fly. For exactly the same types of trips, I too have been thinking about a second traveler RV being a 180-hp -9 with upgraded landing gear/wheels, etc. to get me into the shorter strips and allow a better cross-country cruise.

Houston

Last edited by Low Pass : 12-17-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Pass View Post
Is the -9 better handling?? Not so sure about that, but it is a very sweet plane to fly. For exactly the same types of trips, I too have been thinking about a second traveler RV being a 180-hp -9 with upgraded landing gear/wheels, etc. to get me into the shorter strips and allow a better cross-country cruise.
I was waiting for someone to pickup on that!
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 12-17-2018, 02:53 PM
Your host.

Default DFW ride offer.

Rich, welcome!

You and your wife come out to 52F and we'll get you both some RV time in my RV-6.

You're not crazy. Everyone else is <grin>.

v/r,dr
Old 12-17-2018, 04:27 PM

Rich---you are in a great place to be building. the DFW area has ALOT of Rv's and really good knowledgeable people. Too many to name here, but start with Jay Pratt and Walt Aronow. Take up Doug on his offer to fly in his 6. Then yo can decide if this is for you.
Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 12-17-2018, 07:11 PM

I recommend the 9 slider, but that's because that's what I am building . When I picked up the fuse crate it was marked at the factory with my name - "unique". So if you too want to be unique, build a 9 slider!

Tim
Old 12-17-2018, 07:45 PM

Wow. What an incredible outpouring of support from the folks here on VAF. I really appreciate all the encouragement, tips, and the fishing advice! I also had no idea there were so many builders/owners in the DFW area. I now feel a bit more optimistic and feel that this idea can actually evolve into a quality finished project. Thanks again.

Rather than responding to each person individually, I will put together a collective response and inevitably throw in a few more questions.

1. With respect to resale value of the 9 vs. the 7: this is not something that I would care enough about to formulate a decision on which model to build. I think they are both gorgeous and would love to have one of each. Ideally, I would want to NEVER sell it anyway, and hopefully, when the time is right, gift it to one of my children, a friend, or maybe even just some random person that shares the same passions about the art of aviation as I do.

2. Am I sure I donít want to do aerobatics? I mentioned in my post that I did a little less than 2 hours of tailwheel time about a hundred years ago. That happened to be in a Citabria for a CFI checkout, that consisted to one landing and a bunch of aerobatics. Iíve done a lot of flying since then, but will admit that that was probably one of the best and most memorable days of flying in my life. I have always been an adrenaline junkie. I would love having an RV-7! But I know myself, and I know that aerobatics is not in the best interests of my family.

3. The buy vs. build debate: Iím actually more interested in the building of the plane than I am of the flying. I am in no hurry to complete the project and anticipate a 3-5 year build time. I really like building things and would like to build as much of the plane as possible, which is why I am not going to do the QB option (I might have a change of heart on this after building the tail).

4. 9 vs. 9A: I gotta step out of my comfort zone.

5. Big tires: never even thought of this before a few recommended it. Will definitely look into it. Most likely, Iíll just go with the normal size and if I really feel the need to go into rougher terrain, Iíll buy a Jeep.

6. Supportive wife: sheís one in a million.

7. Slider vs. tilting canopy: I live in texas. Iím always hot. I wear shorts and drive with the windows down in the winter. I gotta go with the slider.

Thanks again to everyone who reached out to me. Will be ordering the preview plans tonight. Looking forward to a new hobby, learning new skills, and making new friends.

What the heck do I do now?
Old 12-17-2018, 07:57 PM

You pretty much have it nailed down. Now go for that ride and bring your wife so she gets a ride as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPnLIP View Post
Ö
7. Slider vs. tilting canopy: I live in texas. Iím always hot. I wear shorts and drive with the windows down in the winter. I gotta go with the slider.

Thanks again to everyone who reached out to me. Will be ordering the preview plans tonight. Looking forward to a new hobby, learning new skills, and making new friends.

What the heck do I do now?
I had my -9 in Houston a few years back and while almost every plane there was a slider, the tip-up wasn't bad as you get a lot of air movement while on the ground. I am 5' 11" and I look right through the top of the windshield; with the slider that meant I was looking at / around the cross bow. As someone pointed out on this forum, I spend more time flying than taxiing and with the tip-up there is nothing in your view, truly amazing! (Just adding fuel to the never ending debate fire!)

Once you start your tailwheel training, don't get frustrated, the -9 is going to be much easier to fly!
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 12-17-2018, 09:52 PM

I can add my comments to the thread but it would only reiterate what everyone has already said. The best advice I can offer is "build what YOU want! Not what anyone else SAYS you want!"

As for flying I will add an offer on top of Doug's. If you want a ride in a 9A, drop me a note and lets schedule a time we can meet and fly. Since you are in Keller I can land at 52F, which you will find is literally in your backyard. We can go experience a 180 hp, 3-blade Catto prop 9A in real time after your flight with Doug. You can experience the real thing live and in person!

Send me a PM or reply here if interested in taking a flight.
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻