VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-13-2018, 09:02 PM

I'm 6'-2" and 210lbs and building the 7A. I like to think that it helps keep me in shape! When I order a burger I think, do I want to eat the whole thing, or go flying
http://garetsrv.blogspot.ca/
Old 12-13-2018, 11:50 PM

I purchased a 7 project and when I am finished, I will probably have more invested than if I had purchased and already be flying. If you just want to build and want the features of a 7, definitely go the 14 route. If cost is a strong factor, you can get a flying 6 for 40k or less.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashman View Post
To those that are building or flying a RV-7 or -7A would you have gone with the -14 if you know what you do now?

Mike
In a word, no. Disadvantages of the 14, to me, outweigh the advantages:

More expensive kit
More expensive engine
Slightly lower airspeeds (I like speed...ask my flying buddies . They say I have two throttle positions: WOT and Idle LOL!)
Higher operating costs (higher fuel burn)

As several people noted, the 7 is tighter for two larger occupants, but once settled in, there's plenty of room. The extra room in the 14 seems to me to be the only advantage to it, and it's not enough to overcome the negatives IMO.

But, as everyone will tell you...define your mission, then build what you want. You won't go "wrong" with any Van's aircraft.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
In a word, no. Disadvantages of the 14, to me, outweigh the advantages:

More expensive kit
More expensive engine
Slightly lower airspeeds (I like speed...ask my flying buddies . They say I have two throttle positions: WOT and Idle LOL!)
Higher operating costs (higher fuel burn)

As several people noted, the 7 is tighter for two larger occupants, but once settled in, there's plenty of room. The extra room in the 14 seems to me to be the only advantage to it, and it's not enough to overcome the negatives IMO.

But, as everyone will tell you...define your mission, then build what you want. You won't go "wrong" with any Van's aircraft.

I think Joe pretty much hit the nail dead on.... if you are 6' + and over 225 lbs than you may want to consider the 14/14A as you will be more comfortable and will have more power.
Supporting VAF since the first visit
Old 12-14-2018, 08:09 AM

Default Go 14 or 14A

With all that has been said - I too would lean towards the 14 vs a 7. I am 85%'ish finished with a 14A and initially was leaning towards a 7 in 2014. Ended up going 14 for most of the reasons stated in other posts. A friend has been building a 7 and I see the difference between the easier build of the 14. Also watching two 10's being built, I will say that the 10 is a considerable jump up both in terms of cost and tasks.
RV14A (N14ZT), Ser#140195
Start 10/11/14
Dues paid 12/2/18 (USArmy 2/67-2/70)
www.mykitlog.com/jeffw@sc47

!! I SURVIVED RIPON ARRIVAL - KOSH 7/21/2018 !!
Old 12-14-2018, 09:06 AM

No horse in this race as I am an RV-8 or RV-10 guy. I did help finish an RV-14A and have some observations.

It is obvious the RV-14/14A kit is targeted at the growing number of Van’s customers who clamor for “just sell me everything to make a plane like the demonstrator”. This results in a simpiler build and supporting follow on kits if you want exactly that, a copy. My take:
- The highlight of the RV-14/14A are the wings. A shorten version of the RV-10 wings with the much better flaps.
- Cost. As discussed for about another $26K or so you can have an RV-10. For me this is a simple choice. The RV-10 is Van’s premier airplane.
- Heavy. All that extra room does not come weight free. For some I understand the extra luggage room might be the tipper for the spouse to buy in.
- If you are a big guy the 14 has room for you.
- The push to respond to customer demand for “just give me a kit for everything” yields things like wire harnesses that only work for limited setups, a gross number of connectors, absence of shielded wire where it should be used and Van’s pushing you to “just let your avionics shop make your panel”. Van’s does not even include the aluminum panel blanks in the kit.

The RV-14A flys like an RV. Controls are heavier than my RV-8A but lighter than my RV-10. It is not as fast as the RV-8A or RV-10 (standard engines and CS props). Fuel burn is higher than my RV—8A and not much less than the RV-10 in cruise (point being it is high for a two place RV).

Again - a good, well designed but expensive kit that will support a limited systems configuration if you want to have all the other stuff to just drop in. If not then don’t buy the wiring kits and such. Just roll your own.

Just my observations, so flames are not required.

Carl

Last edited by Carl Froehlich : 12-14-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:31 AM

Default Slow built 14 over QB 7

I helped a friend a few times and witnessed his build time of a QB-7 and am now building a slow build -14...I think the QB 7 will take as long or longer to build than the slow build -14. Be sure to compare the cost that way. If your a first time builder I think your better off with the -14 as the process is much more advanced (plans, wire harnesses etc...)...
I havenít flown a -14 but absolutely love flying my friends 7! You canít go wrong!
Joe
Old 12-14-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Fuel burn is higher than my RVó8A and not much less than the RV-10 in cruise (point being it is high for a two place RV).
I pretty much agree with everything Carl put in his post except this.
It is obviously not based on personal experience with an RV-14(A).
The forums are full of posts indicating that an RV-14 with an IO-390 will cruise at about the same speed as an RV-7 with a fuel flow within a couple of tenths of an RV-7 (and no where close to an RV-10)

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 12-14-2018, 10:19 AM

Default Just one opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashman View Post
The only thing that would push me back to the -14 would be if it was truly a better engineered aircraft.
Mike
I was deep into building my 7 when I visited Vans and Sterling showed me the 14, IMO it is a better engineered airplane, and thought through to the end, including documentation. Not safety wise though, no difference. As an example, the tip-up canopy on the 14 seemed to address every challenge I had with my 7, a superb design.

After all - a lot of experience was gained by Vans staff in the design of the 12, and 10 before getting to the 14. They are always improving!

I have huge respect for the builders of the RV 3's, 4's, and 6's. Not sure I would have finished one of those.

Your final decision won't be wrong, you can not chose a wrong RV!

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18
Instrument Currency 12-17-18
Old 12-14-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
I pretty much agree with everything Carl put in his post except this.
It is obviously not based on personal experience with an RV-14(A).
The forums are full of posts indicating that an RV-14 with an IO-390 will cruise at about the same speed as an RV-7 with a fuel flow within a couple of tenths of an RV-7 (and no where close to an RV-10)
Not to be a pain, but my observations are from flying the RV-14A. My fuel burn comparisons are as stated, between the RV-8A, RV-14A and RV-10. Flying the three airplanes, a standard 170kt TAS LOP cruise at altitude the RV-8A is at 7.8gph, the RV-14A is a little more than 9 and the RV-10 is at 11.5. I have no time with an RV-7/7A so cannot comment on it so will defer to Scott’s data.

I’m sure other people’s data will be different, just like no two RVs are the same.
Carl