VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-03-2018, 01:19 PM

Default Heavy wing

Just wondering if anyone has a solution to a heavy wing for the RV14?
I have a heavy wing on the right side and it is within my aileron trim range but I would like to fix it if I can.

I have double checked my rigging and the ailerons are set pretty darn precise using the provided jig. My method of checking is to set the jig on one side/aileron and hold that aileron in a fixed position then moving the jig to the other side, it comes to a perfect match. Then the flaps are set to the same level in relation to the ailerons on both side. When they are fully retracted, they are about a hair lower than the ailerons. I am not so much interested in adding a wedge to the aileron if there is other methods that can be done.

In other RV models (6/7) we can squeeze the aileron trailing edge or replace the hinge bracket which is bolted to the ailerons but in 14, they are riveted and not easily replaceable.

I was wondering if any other things can be checked/modified to get a more balanced setting in roll?

As always appreciate all thoughts and suggestions.
Dues paid
Old 12-03-2018, 02:42 PM

I think the -14 wing is like the -10, if so, youíre doing it backwards.
1. Flaps up should be against the aft spar.
2. Ailerons match flaps (make sure elevator is neutral)
3. Adjust tips to match ailerons.
4. Sight down the wing, front to back, checking that both ailerons are the same vertical height at their leading edges. If this needs fixing either slot the mounting bracket(s) or buy new, undrilled ones.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:07 PM

Default is the ball centered?

Have you checked that your ball is centered in level flight. That will give you some insight into whether or not there is a yawing moment, that could be causing the heavy wing.

Powder Springs, GA
2018 Dues Paid
RV-14A (N214WJ) - Flying since Sept 2017
RV-7A (N211WJ) Flying since 2009 (SOLD)
RV-7A (N132RD) bought flying 2014 (SOLD)

KPUJ (Silver Comet Field)
Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/jmsolomon2000

RV-14 Build Log: http://rv14.jaredsolomon.net
Old 12-03-2018, 04:11 PM

I would need to get confirmation on this from others as I am not familiar with the 10s setup but with 14, as part of the kit, we get a jig that you use to setup the aileron to the neutral position.
Next time I am at the hanger, I will check to see where is my elevator when my aileron are in the neutral position.
As for my flaps go, they are pretty much as high as they will go. One side (pilot side) goes up another half a degree or so but now I have set them to match.
Dues paid
Old 12-03-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
I think the -14 wing is like the -10
Like is the operative word. He is not doing it wrong from what I can tell from his write up.

The 14 is provided with two jigs, one to ensure the aileron bell crank is in the neutral position while using the other to set the aileron. The wing tips are also set with the aileron alignment tool so they match the aileron neutral position.

The flaps are set so that when fully retracted, they are at -7į relative to the upper longeron. This is easy to do with a digital level.

Setting both the ailerons and flaps per the 14 plans yielded a great result on my airplane.

Not advising this since I have no idea as to whether this a good idea for the 14, but on my Sonex, the accepted cure for a slight heavy wing was to lower the flap on the heavy wing a half turn on the rod end bearing. I used this procedure on my Sonex and it fixed the slightly heavy wing issue.

Built and Flying RV-14A N626KM SN 140093 http://n626km.com
Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Old 12-03-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared_Solomon View Post
Have you checked that your ball is centered in level flight. That will give you some insight into whether or not there is a yawing moment, that could be causing the heavy wing.
Hi Jared,
Yes, I am good with the yaw, the ball is centered pretty nicely
Dues paid
Old 12-03-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n982sx View Post
Not advising this since I have no idea as to whether this a good idea for the 14, but on my Sonex, the accepted cure for a slight heavy wing was to lower the flap on the heavy wing a half turn on the rod end bearing. I used this procedure on my Sonex and it fixed the slightly heavy wing issue.
Bob,
I thought of doing that but I guess that is adding some additional drag that otherwise wouldn't be there. I may still play with that to see if no other ideas come to mind. Would you lower it on the heavy wing or the light side? If you lower it on the heavy side, wouldn't that create a bit more lift?
Dues paid
Old 12-03-2018, 04:56 PM

flaps should be set to the wing and nothing else. measure from a rivet on the wing to the trailing edge on the flap and set the same on both wings.

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 12-03-2018, 04:58 PM

Donít rely on the jigs as truth - they just get you in the ball park.

Here is a thread I posted a step by step process: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...=165907&page=2

Iím guessing you also fitted the wingtips before rigging the plane (as in wings on the plane). This could result in the wingtip trailing edges not aligned with the ailerons. You may need to redo one or both.

Carl
Old 12-03-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
measure from a rivet on the wing to the trailing edge on the flap and set the same on both wings.
Steve,
Can you elaborate on this a bit more please?
Dues paid