- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Alvord View Post
As for the castor wheel, per Mike Seager, ďIts not a landing gear. Itís a taxi gearĒ no three point landings!.
Thanks for all the great stories and advice! For the nosewheel I do think in maybe 10 hours Iíd feel more capable, and I was ok on taxi and even landing. It was the takeoff as the speed was lower and rudder not quite effective that I would head a bit left then correct and head right and back and just prayed for rotation speed to get there quick! Never in any sort of danger but not something Iíve dealt with before. Somehow the landings were fine as still good speed and rudder authority, and as exiting the runway at higher than taxi speed felt good.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petizo1 View Post
Thanks for all the great stories and advice! For the nosewheel I do think in maybe 10 hours Iíd feel more capable, and I was ok on taxi and even landing. It was the takeoff as the speed was lower and rudder not quite effective that I would head a bit left then correct and head right and back and just prayed for rotation speed to get there quick! Never in any sort of danger but not something Iíve dealt with before. Somehow the landings were fine as still good speed and rudder authority, and as exiting the runway at higher than taxi speed felt good.
In an RV-12, ideal rotation speed is 20 - 25 MPH.
Once the nose is up and you are running on just the main wheels (ala soft field take-off) with the nose wheel just barely off ground, steering is only influenced by rudder and the rudder becomes about 30% more effective.
Hold that attitude an the airplane will fly off when it is ready.

In a left cross wind, this technique can mean the difference between a long take-off while dragging the R brake to stay straight, of a normal (or quite short depending on the actual wind direction) take-off.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 11-21-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the great stories and advice! For the nosewheel I do think in maybe 10 hours I’d feel more capable, and I was ok on taxi and even landing. It was the takeoff as the speed was lower and rudder not quite effective that I would head a bit left then correct and head right and back and just prayed for rotation speed to get there quick! Never in any sort of danger but not something I’ve dealt with before. Somehow the landings were fine as still good speed and rudder authority, and as exiting the runway at higher than taxi speed felt good.
For takeoff run... start with airplane pointed about 10 degrees to the right of centerline. As power comes up, torque will pull airplane left and about the time it reaches centerline the rudder will become effective and you will start holding some right rudder to track straight. You'll also be holding right rudder in climb-out to keep the "ball" centered. I guess your right foot will be applying 1-2 lbs pressure to center the ball.

Just saw Scott's post - yes, for sure, lift the nose wheel early as possible and hold it off a few inches during the entire takeoff run. Airplane will simply levitate when its ready...
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 406

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks

Last edited by Piper J3 : 11-21-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
When I talked to the experienced 15K hour instructor he advised against one for anything except local around the patch flights.
Baloney. I've been to 42 of the 48 lower states in mine before I retired from flying due to medical issues. I've owned Rockets, RVs, and LSAs. I thought the RV12 was one of the most enjoyable cross country machines that I flew.

www.pflanzer-aviation.com
Paid through 2043!
Lund fishing Boat, 2017, GONE FISHING
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, Sold
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold

Old 11-25-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
When I talked to the experienced 15K hour instructor he advised against one for anything except local around the patch flights.
That's nonsense! I've flown mine half way around Australia. The 12 is a perfectly capable long distance flyer if that's what you want to do.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:24 PM

Flew with a friend in his RV-12 todayÖ 88 KTS IAS, 111 KTS TAS, and 160 KTS GS (184MPH) - 49 KTS tail wind at 14,000 MSL and 16F OAT.

EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 406

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 11-25-2018, 11:19 PM

Dave,

Just because someone has impressive ratings and hours doesnít mean much. Iím a CFI too, and every flight I still think more about what I donít know than what I do. My best friend is a retired USAF fighter pilot and airline pilot. What has always impressed me about him is that safety comes before hubris with him.

The RV-12 is certainly more capable than a Cessna 150 or a J-3 Cub, and people routinely take them on long cross country flights. Maybe you should ask your 15000 hr CFI to explain the basis of his conclusion.

Rich
Old 11-26-2018, 06:02 PM

Another experience -- I picked up my new to me RV-12 south of Oklahoma City in April several years ago and flew west via Amarillo, Albuquerque, Gallup, Las Vegas, Henderson and up the eastern side of Oregon to SW Washington. 16 hours flight time doing 2.5 - 3 hour legs usually from 8500-10500, sometimes higher. I had 1 hour transition training, but did have 10 years flying an RV-3A and had 3 hours with Mike Seager in an RV-6 before flying the 3. Most of my flying has been 2.5 hour flights to and from Idaho.

As others have said, it's a very capable airplane.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:59 PM

Default Twice to Oshkosh flying my dadís 12

The 12 hauled two normal sized adults from E16 in California to KOSH one year and from E16 to LL10 the next. And the fun factor was OFF the scale! The 12 is a very capable plane with excellent fuel economy to boot!
Old 01-07-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
In an RV-12, ideal rotation speed is 20 - 25 MPH.
Once the nose is up and you are running on just the main wheels (ala soft field take-off) with the nose wheel just barely off ground, steering is only influenced by rudder and the rudder becomes about 30% more effective.
Hold that attitude an the airplane will fly off when it is ready.

In a left cross wind, this technique can mean the difference between a long take-off while dragging the R brake to stay straight, of a normal (or quite short depending on the actual wind direction) take-off.
Duly noted.... good information, this should be made a sticky.