VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-15-2018, 07:35 AM

Default Damage Repair Evaluation

Monday 11-12-18 a tree fell on my hangar breaking several trusses. A piece of one of the trusses along with an 8' fluorescent light fixture fell on my RV-12 damaging both wings and breaking the canopy plexiglass. I did not build it so I need assistance in estimating the degree of repair needed and completing the repairs as well. The loss is fully insured so expenses would be paid by the insurer.

I'm located on a small airfield out of La Center, WA near Vancouver. If anyone knows of someone in the area who's qualified and willing to assist, please contact me by PM.

Thanks,
John Warren
Old 11-15-2018, 08:05 AM

Wow John, that sucks! Have you talked to Burl Rich yet?

Assuming this Is John from La Center View just up the runway from Lee.?.
We build many of your RV weldments.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv3flier View Post
Monday 11-12-18 a tree fell on my hangar breaking several trusses. A piece of one of the trusses along with an 8' fluorescent light fixture fell on my RV-12 damaging both wings and breaking the canopy plexiglass. I did not build it so I need assistance in estimating the degree of repair needed and completing the repairs as well. The loss is fully insured so expenses would be paid by the insurer.

I'm located on a small airfield out of La Center, WA near Vancouver. If anyone knows of someone in the area who's qualified and willing to assist, please contact me by PM.

Thanks,
John Warren
Will the insurance company get estimates and line up a shop somewhere up there in Vans country?
Old 11-15-2018, 08:23 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Looking at the somewhat hidden silver lining here------the 12 is designed to have the wings removed easily, and the plane trailered somewhere.

I have no personal experience with Synergy, but have heard much good about them, might be worth checking with them.

And, they are pretty familiar with the 12 IIRC.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 11-15-2018, 08:26 AM

Metal Innovations at Aurora airport has done damage repairs on an RV-12 in the past.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 11-15-2018, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the quick response and suggestions. Russ, yes I'm at WA29 -- you did some welding on the motor mount of my RV-3 some years ago. Thanks for reminding me of Burl. And, Russ, I haven't seen you flying around recently. Are you still active?

Synergy is quite a way from me but Aurora would be more doable -- thanks to both mike s and rvbuilder2002 for the suggestions.

So, far, the insurance company is asking that I do the leg work, but it's only been several days since it occurred. Due to the damage to the roof and trusses, I don't think I can safely open the bifold hangar door, but I think I can get the wings and canopy through the man door.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:31 AM

Yep still active, just flew down your runway last Thursday, one week ago today.

Lots of good suggestions from the guys here, you should be back in business soon 🤞
We build many of your RV weldments.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:06 AM

Dare I suggest that you do the repairs yourself? The wing kits go together very quickly and the canopy is not all that difficult to accomplish -- building is part of the experience! I gather that most insurance companies will reimburse you for your repair labor -- perhaps you can negotiate a mutually acceptable arrangement. Good luck and hopefully you'll be back in the air soon.
EAA #23982 (circa 1965) - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B 2020) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 760+ hours (as of May 2019)!
VAF donation through June 2019.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:56 AM
been here awhile

Very sorry to hear of your misfortune.

This is not the time to be emotionally attached to your aircraft. If in your position, I would do everything possible to get the insurance company to total your RV-12. This is most likely a real possibility considering the replacement of wings and canopy....very large labor costs in addition to parts. If repaired it will have some serious damage history in the logs. It is probably better to get a check for the plane and go find you a fresh RV-12.

Best wishes for a satisfactory resolution regardless of the path you choose.

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 11-15-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:19 PM

Without seeing the damage its tough to give advice, but if the wings had significant damage Id check the bulkhead behind the seats where the spars attach and make sure there is no damage there or where the skin attaches to the bulkhead. The canopy frame is probably warped too, and Id check the crash arch. Probably stuff you have already thought of, but thought Id make the suggestion.