VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-01-2018, 02:12 PM

Default Fuel selector

I would like to install the fuel selector FS20 type7 instead of the type2 suplied by Van's. The type7 is much more ergonomic than the 2: left tank on the left, right tank on the right et OFF on the rear.
Before to order the fuse kit I would like to know if somebody has already made this installation.
Than'ks.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:27 PM

Looking at the -7 part, I see no reason why you couldn't make it work, but there are two problems. First, the fuel lines specified in the plans will not work with it as the -7 part has a different orientation of in and out ports. Second, the orientation of the mounting flange is 180° around from the -2 part. You will have to rework the mounting plate as well as make up fuel lines on your own.

Built and Flying RV-14A N626KM SN 140093 http://n626km.com
Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com

Last edited by n982sx : 09-01-2018 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Clarified differences in -2 and -7 part
Old 09-01-2018, 09:37 PM

I looked at it and preferred it for the same reason but if I recall correctly, plumbing is harder and not nearly as straight forward as this type. I figured I will get use to it. Time will tell.
Dues paid
Old 09-01-2018, 09:42 PM

Would a Type 3 valve be easier?
RV-10 (#2) N2622S
Old 09-02-2018, 03:14 AM

The type 3 has also different orientation of the ports and I guess that it'll be more difficult with the right entry on the front.

Luc Chedeau
RV 14 building emp
France
Old 09-02-2018, 08:37 AM

Luc---using a 7T valve in the RV14 'can' be done, but it will take some creative tube bending to connect the wing tubes to the valve. The 7T with the 90* elbows facing aft are at 45* to the tunnel sides. That means that the 'original' designed wing tubes would have to be changed to matched the new valve configuration. Its pretty tight in that area.
The bend after the flare would have to be very close to the aft side of the nut to clear the sides. An "S" bend back to center the aft to mimic the original design.

Grab some extra 3/8 tubing to make some patterns. Eat lunch first, you may be there awhile! Best plan is to stay with the 2T valve that Vans supplies.

Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 12-30-2018, 04:36 PM

This post is a follow up to everyone who emailed and asked us about the Type 7 valve in the RV14. It is a lot more complicated than the standard valve, due to the bend complexity as well as the tight clearances needed to make it work. However, we love challenges and coming up with solutions for them. On that note, we have been quietly working on this with the help of an RV14 Beta tester.

It may be a few months before we are ready for the release of this kit, as we are working to ensure we have not only CNC bent rigid tubes, but also a drill template to locate the valve correctly in correlation to the original mounting brackets.

There are a few small changes yet to be made, but we are getting very close.

Here is a video showing the bending of the new tube and the general geometry of the final tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ34...ature=youtu.be

Pricing on the new kit has not yet been officially set, but we anticipate a release price of $299.95. Like the current cabin fuel kit we offer, this one will include 3 Rigid tubes and one flex hose. In addition, it will include a valve mounting drill template to correctly locate the new valve.

Though we anticipate that a majority of builders will want to stay with the stock valve configuration, we also anticipate that there will be many builders that would like a solution that allows them to utilize this valve configuration.

Happy building,
Steve

aircraftspecialty@gmail.com

www.aircraftspecialty.com
www.asflightlines.com

Last edited by Aircraft Specialty : 12-30-2018 at 04:43 PM. Reason: link
Old 12-30-2018, 06:17 PM

Default Duplex Valve for a 14 FI engine

What are my options for a duplex valve for my 14 FI Thunderbolt Lycoming 390? Engine arrives in Feb-march. Thanks
Old 12-30-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmattmul View Post
What are my options for a duplex valve for my 14 FI Thunderbolt Lycoming 390? Engine arrives in Feb-march. Thanks
Give us a call tomorrow and we will be happy to discuss the duplex installation for the -14 with you.

In short, we have an option, but it is not a full drop in installation like our standard cabin fuel package for the -14. The reason for that is that it typically would be installed in conjunction with the EFII or SDS systems and we have seen different setups on those.

We focused more on the firewall forward hose kits for the -14 because of the variety of different configurations that we have seen people doing on the aircraft. We have seen lots of Thunderbolt engines, FM150 fuel servos, Single and Dual PMAG installations, Backup Alternators, and upright oil filter adapters. All of these configurations affect the fuel and oil hose lengths/configurations.

I look forward to talking with you about the options,
Steve

aircraftspecialty@gmail.com

www.aircraftspecialty.com
www.asflightlines.com
Old 12-31-2018, 03:36 AM

I'd think long and hard before making changes to Van's design in the fuel selector area, primarily because of the tight space - as Tom and Steve have mentioned. Once the fuel lines and fuel selector/filter/pump are installed, routing wires/tubing through the area is very "interesting". Getting the harness from this area to the control sticks is next to impossible (If I were building again I'd install these harnesses before installing any of the fuel system). I ended up cutting the harness and installing an extension so I could just route the bare wires - even this process required some creative "fishing" of wires through the structure. Adding more fuel lines, especially with bends, in this area would make the process even more challenging.

The current design is proven to work well with "stock" engine - my question would be what is the advantage of a duplex system? And I'm one of those who's made some changes - Beringer brakes/wheels, remote oil filter, single PMAG, etc. I'm using TS Flightlines/ Aircraft Speciality hoses/lines everywhere I can: we've done quite a bit of "back and forth" (Tom Swearingen and I are best buds these days).

Last edited by mturnerb : 12-31-2018 at 04:14 AM.