VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-12-2018, 01:18 PM

Default 11/12/18 Update

Big day. Had a local auto towing service come over and help me move the fuselage to the hangar. This was the third time I've used these guys, although it was this particular driver's first time to carry a plane. He was pretty stunned to say the least Took quite a few pictures to show his buddies.
$125 later, she made it to her new home at the airport. Much easier, quicker and probably cheaper than rigging up a trailer myself.

First time I've been able to step back and get some good full-scale pictures of it.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:44 AM

You're in Lewes? Where are you basing your plane out of? The field off of Rt 1 or Georgetown?
Old 11-13-2018, 10:55 AM

I rent a hangar up at DE25/Eagle Crest off of route 1. Have some friends over there and it's only about 5 minutes from the house. I was based in Georgetown a few years ago with another plane and found the 30 min drive and outdoor tiedown kept me from being able to fly as much as I wanted.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:31 PM

I see! I asked them earlier this year if they had any room but they didn't have anything. Moved down to Ocean City shortly after though. Did you have any big problems with corrosion? That's the main thing that I'm worried about while I'm building.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:01 PM

Default 11/25/18 Update

The night we moved the fuselage, a couple of friends came over and helped fit up the wings with some tapered hardware store bolts. These same guys helped me do the wings on the 6a. Based on that experience, they were prepared for a several-hour-long ordeal. This was nothing like what they expected. Maybe 5 minutes per side, and they were temporarily hung.

Over a couple of days, the tanks were attached and fuel lines fitted.

The next major job was to check for incidence and sweep. Once the fuselage was levelled, 4 plumb bobs took care of the latter, and a piece of angle clamped to a 4' level made checking incidence a piece of cake.

After reading everything available about the critical edge distance at the rear spar, I was seriously intimidated about drilling that hole. There was nothing to worry about however, as it turned out to be relatively easy. I did make a drill guide out of some 1" aluminum block, and drilled the initial hole with an 8" long 1/8th inch bit. It was gradually opened up and eventually reamed to final dimension, leaving almost 3/4" of edge distance all the way around.

Next, tank brackets were made, attached, and match drilled.

Then Ailerons Connected

Next, the flaps were attached. The flap hinges had not yet been drilled and riveted to the wing, so this was done over the course of about two mornings.

At this point, the control stick was strapped in the middle of its travel, and Van's jig used to center the bellcranks so that the ailerons could be lined up with the tooling holes in the wing ribs. Once they were in place, the flap control rods were connected, and flaps adjusted to match the ailerons.

Last thing to be completed before removing the wings was to drill all of the intersection fairings and lower skin-to-wing joint for the nutplates that will be put on in the next phase.

If you've noticed that not all the tank attach screws are in place, good eye! I ran out and was waiting on a shipment from Spruce...

Having done all of this, we went out on the afternoon of Black Friday and pulled the wings so that all of those holes can be deburred, dimpled and get their nutplates. The wiring and hoses for lights, autopilot, and pitot need to be run still, and I need to re-make one of the fuel lines that goes out to the tanks (trimmed it to size, flared, and then realized that I had forgotten to install the hardware.... I figure it'll be about a week or so, and I'll assemble the crew again so we can put these wings back on for real.

Last edited by j-red : 11-25-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:39 PM

Default Ever wonder how bright FlyLEDís are???

Well, you canít look directly at them, thatís for sure!
Got my delux kit from flyboyaccessories, and put them together over about two evenings after the kids went to bed. At least, I would have if three of the LEDís werenít missing. The guys from flyboys weíre grewt and got them in the mail right away. A few days later they arrived and I can finally take the box of parts and the soldering tools out of the dining room and put them away (much to my wifeís delight!)

Here goes nothing....

Itís like a portable core meltdown!

Ooh! Christmas colors!
Old 12-23-2018, 08:23 PM

Default 12/22/18. First engine run

Last Thursday I gathered my posse of fire-extinguisher wielding airport buddies and cranked her over for the first time.... nothing. Cranked again... nothing. Fuel? Check. Spark? Ahh, no spark. CPI seems to be on, magnets are showing as synching when the prop is turning but still no spark. Ross says to check and see if the coil pack is getting 12 volts. It isnít. Gotta have something to do with the setup in the vertical power vp-x box, but my laptop is at home and now the two days of hard rain theyíve been predicting has started with a drizzle. Pushed the plane back in the hanger and kept working away at the left wingtip.

Fast-forward two days. Got the laptop, and found that the coil circuit was configured to ďalways off.Ē Well, that would explain it. Fortunately Saturday was sunny and pleasant: a much better day for a first run. A couple of new eyes were present to look over things before the first run, and without anything else to delay us, it was time to push the magic button. Boom: two blades and itís running.

We followed a kitplanes article from several years ago regarding engine first runs. First, we spent about ten minutes at 1k rpm letting the oil temp come up, and checking pressures and temperatures. After a break to check for leaks, we ran it up to about 1600 rpm to check the prop, followed by a full power attempt for 10 seconds. Didnít quite get to full power because even though we tied the tail to a tree, it kept coming up at 2300rpm or so and I didnít want to risk a nose-over. Brakes held well, though.

Only a couple of issues. First, I noticed a little oil mist during the first run. An inspection revealed that the oil filter had backed off slightly in spite of the safety wire. Could be hand tightened an 1/8th of a turn or so. Will need to tighten it fully and redo the safety wire.

Second issue to work out is the electric/charging system. Iím not sure if it has to do with how the vpx was hooked up or the amp shunt or what, but when the alternator is on, the Skyview shows -13amps but 14.5 volts, i.e. charging based on voltage but discharging based on amperage. I get that the leads on the amp shunt are probably backwards, but to complicate things, the vpx indicates the battery discharging at 13 amps and shows the alternator to be on but putting out 0 amps. Somethings screwy and Iíll need to dig around and figure it out.

Without further ado, here are the photos/video

Video is of the second run at higher rpm. Cylinder head temps were never above 320, and egtís kept pretty evenly together in the mid 1100ís.
Got a really good feeling about this engine rebuild.

https://youtu.be/5i22LVRe8ws
Old 01-11-2019, 07:39 AM

Default December '18 summary

Haven't had a lot of time to update the thread in the past month. The engine run was quite a leap forward past all the other tasks that had to be done since first hanging the wings. Going back through my build log, here are some of the highlights...

Empennage tips took a couple of weeks to do. This is an older kit and they were either never formed very well to begin with, or age and heat had caused them to distort, because they had to be cut, squeezed, filled, and overlayed in a bunch of ways in order to get them to fit right. Lots of work, but they turned out nice in my opinion.

Before:

After:

With the fairings done, the tail could be attached and rigged. Pretty straightforward process. A set of curved hemostat pliars made getting the hinge bolts in the rudder and elevators installed MUCH easier than the old "needlenose" method i've used in the past.

No pictures, but there was a day or two of fiddling with wiring in the tail. The FlyLED tail strobe needed a shielded two-strand wire and I had only run a single strand of unshielded back there, expecting to ground locally. The elevator servo wire had been run, and was connected using a db-9 connector in case the motor needs to be removed at some point. Also installed the ELT antenna back there under where the empennage fairing will go, and terminated the previously run antenna cable with a BNC fitting.

Next, it was time for the wingtips. Decided on hinges to attach for the clean lines they offer as well as ease of disassembly. Like an idiot, I cut one hinge to length without pulling extra length of pin out and now I've got to pay shipping on a single 6' hinge pin! doh!

Surprisinly, they fit pretty well right from the get-go.

Hinge halves riveted to wing:

Tips primed and lights being assembled:

What the FlyLED's look like from the inside:
Old 01-11-2019, 08:29 AM

Default December '18 Summary Cont.

Got some heat shield a while back and installed it in anticipation of cowled engine runs. The interior of the cowl was epoxy primed to make cleanup easier, and this stuff adhered without any problem.

I also wanted to have the baggage panels in place before the engine run to help prevent any possibility of damage with any twisting movement of the fuselage while the engine was being cranked. The ELT was mounted in that area for ease of access. So thankful already for that battery door... after the first engine start attempt with the un-powered coil, I had to put it on the charger overnight. Super easy with this door in place.

Thanks to a member's response, I was able to afford a functional interior that looks pretty nice too!

My "friends" think so too

"Dad, I want to sit up THERE!"

"That's better!"

Plenty of other things have been done over the past month, but not every one merited a picture.

-The sense wires on the ammeter were reversed which is why I was getting that odd discharge indication during the first run. Swapped them and now everything reads as expected.

-Fit up the empennage fairing and lower trim pieces. May end up doing a lot more in this area, but was surprised at how well the factory piece fit.

-Installed 1.2 million nutplates under the wings for the inspection hole covers. The wings were largely done by the previous owner and this was probably one of those "I can do that any time" kind of tasks that got put off when a more exciting phase of building was available.

-On New Year's Day, My family came over and helped do the weight and balance. I purchased a couple of these scales from ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/660lb-300kg...72.m2749.l2649 Tested them out as soon as they came, and one worked perfectly. Checked the upper weight accuracy with several people being weighed seperately then all of us standing on it together to get closer to the 500lb region the airplane would require. It was within a few tenths of a pound. The other scale... not so much. The computer was DOA. Fortunately the company sent me a label and paid for return shipping then refunded the cost of the scale. Unfortunately, that meant moving the scale from wheel-to-wheel and leveling up everything twice (three times if you count the tail, but that was easy). My wife brought lunch and helped watch the ramps while I pushed the plane, and our son kept running circles bringing whatever tools, blocks, etc I called for. It was fun, and they were a huge help. Final weight: 1068 lbs w/o wheel pants

-Calibrated fuel tanks. This was fun. I put about a gallon in, which, by the time we warmed up the engine and taxi'd down to the fuel pump, was mostly gone. After leveling the plane, a friend pumped two gallons at a time while I pushed the calibration buttons on the Dynon.

This was also the first taxi test. Brakes were a little squeaky, but they're new and probably need to be cleaned off and "burnt in" a little bit. It does appear that one of the line fittings needs to be replaced because it developed a drip. Probably have to bleed them again once that's done, but it shouldn't be too big a deal.

Just a few items remain before it is ready for inspection.
-Labeling Cockpit items, required placards, and switch labels
-Flap position sensor rigged and calibrated with VP-X
-Passenger air vent
-Cut the passenger control stick to length, add a handle, and connect the existing wire to a ptt button
-Secure a few wires here and there
-Finish my tailwheel endorsement!

Most everything (except the endorsement) could be done in a day if necessary, but if you've seen my other post, you know that there has been some issue trying to contact the DAR I'm working with. Hoping that he'll be back in touch soon.

Couple of photos from before wingtips were finished...

Old 01-11-2019, 09:29 AM

That is a whole lot of Awesome! How long did the wing tip hinge work take, if you wouldn't mind enlightening me?
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt