- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimO View Post
The plastic paint is a good idea as well. Sadly, if you do that, you'll probably have to paint them some other color than your base paint, because finding plastic paint to match may be tough. A contrasting color may be better.
Actually it's just the primer that is specific to plastic surfaces. You can use the same top coat paint that you use everywhere else on the airplane. That's how cars are painted. The steel surfaces get a different primer from the plastic panels and bumpers. Then the whole thing gets painted with the same base/clear color paint system.

The biggest downside of using a primer for plastics on the fuel cap is that you'll probably have to buy some minimum size (pint or quart) that is 100 times more than you need for the job. So it's wasted money that might be better spent on metal caps if there are any available that fit the filler neck.
RV-8A N2D #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings complete, empacone in progress...
Old 06-29-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechsix View Post
Actually it's just the primer that is specific to plastic surfaces. You can use the same top coat paint that you use everywhere else on the airplane. That's how cars are painted. The steel surfaces get a different primer from the plastic panels and bumpers. Then the whole thing gets painted with the same base/clear color paint system.

The biggest downside of using a primer for plastics on the fuel cap is that you'll probably have to buy some minimum size (pint or quart) that is 100 times more than you need for the job. So it's wasted money that might be better spent on metal caps if there are any available that fit the filler neck.
Just take them to an auto paint shop. Higher end shops have paint mixing systems on site and will mix very small quantities. Just get them to prime when priming a bumper cover, they do a lot of them.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18
Instrument Currency 12-17-18
Shrunken Exit = ??
No Photo? => PM me.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:06 PM

I got a hold of the manufacturer today and they confirmed they have nothing in aluminum. So I'm going to take some time after OSH and draw them up in CAD and then send them out to have some new aluminum tops made. If there is enough interest, I will see about quantity discounts. I wouldn't want to make anything on them, but I know from people who've had parts done before that quantity can reduce the price by more than half.
I'd have the top half and the flip tab all done in Aluminum, but leave the bottom half plastic just to save cost.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimO View Post
No, I haven't tried to tighten mine yet. I'll have to do that. I'll lube and tighten them and see if that seals them up. You're absolutely right about the water. Every year at Osh I get dumped on and you definitely pick up water from leaky cap o-rings.

The plastic paint is a good idea as well. Sadly, if you do that, you'll probably have to paint them some other color than your base paint, because finding plastic paint to match may be tough. A contrasting color may be better.

Attached you can see pics of my fuel caps, and the mechanism that is being described. I agree that in general the fuel caps are a better design (as long as these can be sealed tight). I just think the material chosen is a poor choice.
I'd prefer a nice aluminum cap, and then engrave them. It does appear that these are engraveable. It looks like Aircraft Specialty does them:
http://www.aircraftspecialty.com/engraving.html

These are the SPRL caps. I'll have to see what info I can find on them. I'm not going to stop and tear mine apart right now, but if I could have a new top machined I'd do it. For the time being, I may have to buy new caps if I can't strip off my paint. Below are the pictures of my caps. I would recommend NOT painting them if you're using these caps....at least not unless you have a better paint to use for the job. Remember, mine has been flying less than 2 weeks and if they look like this now they're going to be downright ugly in a year or two.

Edit: Now that I've googled "SPRL Fuel Cap" I see you can buy these in a locking version for people that want that. Hopefully I can track down the actual manufacturer and inquire about an aluminum top.

They are indeed the Newton SPRL Caps. And we do engrave them. However, we no longer offer color fill in for the engraving. The caps are extremely porous and they don't color fill as nicely as I would like to see.

Personally, if I was building a -14 and had not yet installed the flanges, I would seriously consider seeing if I could utilize a different flange and cap. Newton makes some really nice locking caps as does Andair.

If Tim goes about having aluminum tops machined we will be happy to get the dimensions and make a fixture to engrave the new aluminum tops.

Have a great holiday,
Steve

aircraftspecialty@gmail.com

www.aircraftspecialty.com
www.asflightlines.com
Old 07-03-2016, 10:01 PM

I do hope to have some made up. I've had a couple people ask me offline to keep them posted because they want them too. I'll do that for sure, and follow up here when I do something. It won't be until after OSH for sure...too many things to do. I haven't yet taken the time to tighten mine or take them apart to measure them or anything...but I did get my wing blue again today after a couple of rolls with 1 tank that was full. So I guess I better at least tighten them soon.

If anyone finds a source for a single fuel cap without the flange I'd perhaps be interested in buying one just so when I rip mine apart I don't have to worry about messing something up. I like to keep spares of many things, and a spare fuel cap would be nice. As it looks, it's going to cost just under $60 to buy a single cap and I can only get it with a flange at this point.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:10 AM

Tim,

We have that cap on our Europa. Over ten years now with no problems. We disassemble and lube the orings every year. Be sure to lube the small one on the shaft. We park outside several weeks each summer and no problems with rain leaking into the tank. The orings are metric but available from McMaster.

Jim Butcher
Old 08-25-2016, 05:40 AM

Hello Tim, I would be interested to buy from you aluminum "tops" as replacement for the plastic standard Vans caps. Are you able to sell some to me?
Thanks.
Renzo Corvetta
Italy
Old 08-25-2016, 08:06 AM

Default piece o cake!

Hey Tim:

Do you see the SS locknut on the bottom of the cap? This sets the 'squish' on the O ring. Sounds like yours are a bit loose - tighten slightly until you get the seal you want. I thought Robin had a locking metal replacement version, but I don't see it on his website now.

I have a whole box of these here - surplus to my needs. Just sayin'...

Carry on!
Mark
Old 08-25-2016, 08:25 AM

Default Antisplat product?

Perhaps Alan at Antisplat would be interested in making the desired aluminum version of the cap?
Just a thought.

Erich
Old 08-25-2016, 10:59 AM

For those interested, it's being worked on. I did send it to a vendor who produces parts for RV's, and once they're done I'm guessing they will offer them and offer them engraved, also. I haven't checked on the status lately but plan to next week to see if there is any progress.

I did tighten mine and also lubed them, and they don't leak much if at all anymore, so that is good. I'm still left wanting aluminum, however, for the many reasons I gave. They will look much better as well. At least the plastic ones are useable the way they are.

I'll keep you posted here when they are available.