- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASA515 View Post
Vans has posted a Notice stating they have a limited number of the special tools needed for the inspection.

Contact Vans.

Bob Bogash
N737G
Looks like I'm one of the unlucky ones. Talking with Van's parts folks, this should read

...the WILL HAVE (IN A WEEK OR SO) a limited number of the special tools...

I'm a bit too much of a sparky (electrical) engineer and not enough of a metal-bender (mechanical) engineer to understand what is really going on here.. referring to roger's post...how is having a broken crankshaft journal on the power takeoff end of the engine not noticeable? Seems that if broken, I would be getting any spinning shaft going into the gearbox??? Or is that gear that slides around when the shaft is broken what meshes with the gearbox, and hence it still transfers the torque to the gearbox?

Ignorant Engineerofsorts.
RV-12 #120332 N73HR
Austin, TX
TangoFlight Mentor

Last edited by engineerofsorts : 10-31-2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: badder ingrish
Old 10-31-2013, 05:03 PM

Default Broken shaft

Hi engineerofsorts,

It is where it breaks that's important to note and the support for each side that keeps the parts in place. There is a mark on the new tool feeler gauge and if you can push it it up to or past that mark then the end of the broken shaft is pushing forward in its mount. If it isn't broke the feeler gauge won't go in any farther. It breaks outward of the gear off the crank so that gets held in place by the crankshaft and the bushing holds the other part in place, but there would be a small separation of these two parts that the feeler gauge will detect. If it was only cracked the feeler gauge won't detect it. You have to pull the magnetic oil plug out every oil change anyway so just stick the gauge in to check. It shouldn't take, but a couple of minutes.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:48 PM

My German cousin finally got the tool from ROTAX. They shipped it free of charge. I don't have it yet. He's a ROTAX independent maintenance tech and the German equivalent of our LSR-M. More when I have this jewel in my hot little hands!
Old 11-17-2013, 07:23 PM

Default checked ok

In the midst of the condition inspection and our Rotax feeler check gauge arrived last week. Checked it this evening and was ok. We have the new style mag plug and the new torque setting is 216 in lb. the new style is the hex head bolt and not the "torx" style.

RV-12 #328
At 435 Hrs on the Hobbs
Old 11-17-2013, 07:31 PM

Just got my tool from my German cousin and will check at my annual in four months. TT 122 Hrs now.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:25 PM

Just an FYI so people don't panic.
Rotax cut a shaft where they could break and ran that engine for 500 hrs. without any issues. The cut shaft has a wider kerf or space where it could break and it had no issues.
This isn't common knowledge, but I wanted to re-assure some that they aren't going to fall out of the sky.

p.s.
If you have one of the affected engines or you are an authorized and current IRC the tool should be free.
All others will have to pay for the tool because they feel it isn't needed on other engines out of the serial number range.

Last edited by roger lee : 11-17-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:48 AM

I was able to rent a gauge from Lockwood and check out mine. It passed! Then returned it to Lockwood. They said they would have them for sale in 3weeks.
Vicky Leroux
n899VL. Flying proudly
Old 11-19-2013, 07:21 PM

Someone is sure misinformed. Lockwood needs to have a chat with Rotax or they aren't being straight up. The tools are free to affected engine owners. Rotax told me so themselves. They are also supposed to be free to authorized and current IRC's. CPS in CA said the same thing.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:28 PM

The SB has just been expanded to a new, wider range of serial numbers. See here http://legacy.rotax-owner.com/si_tb_...12-064ulr1.pdf
The lowest number is now 6777436. Just higher than my engine of 6777368 so, dodged that one again...
The check remains periodic, every 100 hours or 12 months up to 1000 hours.

Hmmm - actually no change on that lowest number. One of the higher ranges is expanded a bit.

N412BR

Last edited by Bill_H : 11-27-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:26 PM

Bill, this seems to be death by a thousand cuts. The fact that they keep expanding the S/N list tells me they haven't any idea what ghost they're chasing - bad vendor, bad machining operation, bad heat treat batch, etc etc.

Scary.

Bob Bogash
N737G