VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-11-2013, 02:45 PM

Default Rotax SB Crankshaft Journal

Rotax has released an Update to their SB inspecting the Crankshaft Journals.

http://legacy.rotax-owner.com/si_tb_...-912-064ul.pdf

The Revision changes the one time inspection into a 100 hour inspection and expands the serial number list of affected engines.

(They'll keep expanding the Affected List until they get all of us!)

Bob Bogash
N737G
Old 10-11-2013, 07:29 PM

The new Rotax bulletin affects approximate 3700 engines (that's what I was originally told) verses the original 450 (approximate number).
It stems from the shaft straightening at the factory when these shafts are pressed together. They thought 2 or more bends was the problem, but learned even one bend could be an issue. It is rare and they are just trying to get out in front of this which is better than waiting years and having someone like the NTSB force the issue like they do for the auto MFG's. Rotax tends to be very proactive in handling problems once discovered. If you manage to hit the unfortunate cracked shaft lottery then the engine has to come off and go back to a distributor for a shaft replacement and rebuild. Yes, Rotax will help out.

Last edited by roger lee : 10-12-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:45 AM

Default Close one!!

Hey Roger Lee. Thanks for your input. The strange thing with my 912ULS is that I purchased the engine from Van's in November of 09. My serial number starts with 6775, and it looks like the AD addresses serial numbers that start with 6777. So, I guess I am lucky, so far at least. It missed me by a couple of thousand engines.

Tom
2013- RV12, Kit #119. N123M First flight Nov21. It's a keeper!
1998- RV-9 tail kit, built and sold
1989- RV-6 tail kit, built and sold
Old 10-12-2013, 11:14 AM

Does anybody know where to get the ROTAX CS-PTO Gauge P/N 876260 ? I looked on the websites for Lockwood, CPS, LEAF and Aircraft Spruce, but couldn't find it. I even have an email out to my German cousin to see if he can get me one.

Does anybody know if a fiber optic at the mag plug hole could be used to inspect for a cracked journal?
Old 10-12-2013, 07:34 PM

I heard from my German cousin. He said the bulletin hasn't been issued in Germany yet. That seems strange.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:02 PM

I have tried myself to get a gauge. I was told they weren't in the system yet. So we'll have to wait a few weeks for this to catch up. My own engine is in the affected group. The fiber optic camera won't work. It's too big even with a 9mm lens, it needs to go in at an angle and you need to push against the shaft gear hard enough to try and make it move. The bulletin should be world wide already. It is on their main website.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:09 PM

I found the SB-912-064

It is this for German: http://www.flyrotax.com/portaldata/5/dokus/d05766.pdf

You have to look for 912S

Daniel, Switzerland
Old 10-13-2013, 08:48 PM

Default Service Bulletin

I watched the rotax 100 hour check the crank journal video, how does a feeler tell you have a crack or don t have a crack ? Also a question for Jack, what do you mean, Rotax will help out?
Old 10-13-2013, 11:10 PM

The feeler gauge will not tell you if you have a crack only if it is completely broken. This lets the more forward part of the shaft to shift a little forward and allows the feeler gauge to go in past the mark.
Rotax knows this is a factory caused defect and will most likely help out with the repair, but I'm not sure exactly how much.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASA515 View Post
Rotax has released an Update to their SB inspecting the Crankshaft Journals.

http://legacy.rotax-owner.com/si_tb_...-912-064ul.pdf

The Revision changes the one time inspection into a 100 hour inspection and expands the serial number list of affected engines.

(They'll keep expanding the Affected List until they get all of us!)

Bob Bogash
N737G
It doesn't look all that hard to do the test yourself in the procedure video:

http://rotax-owner.com/index.php?opt...article&id=431

This assumes that the tool, which looks to be not much more than a simple feeler gauge, becomes available. I still couldn't find one on Lockwood as of this morning, but it seems as if that would be just a matter of time.

RV-6 N466PG Purchased already flying - SOLD!

Built RV-12
http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com

The above web blogs and any links provided thereto are not instructional or advisory in nature. They merely seek to share my experiences in building and flying Van's RV airplanes.

Last edited by Dgamble : 10-14-2013 at 06:44 AM.