- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 05:41 PM

Default pulls to the left when taxiing

My relatively new (6 hrs) RV-12 seems to pull to the left quite a bit during taxiing.

First, I thought it was weathervaning from the wind until I realized it was always in the same direction.

Then I thought the left brake pad was catching, but I can roll that wheel by hand no problem. The brake assembly has a little play and I can see daylight between the disk and the pads.

Then I thought one of the brake cylinders wasn't free to rotate where it's attached to the pedal, causing it to maybe stick occasionally in the engaged position, so I loosened the bolts there by one or two castellations.

I'm running out of ideas. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!
RV-12 #359
N1769K
6B6 - Minuteman Field, Stow, MA
Old 06-27-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritsher View Post
My relatively new (6 hrs) RV-12 seems to pull to the left quite a bit during taxiing.

First, I thought it was weathervaning from the wind until I realized it was always in the same direction.

Then I thought the left brake pad was catching, but I can roll that wheel by hand no problem. The brake assembly has a little play and I can see daylight between the disk and the pads.

Then I thought one of the brake cylinders wasn't free to rotate where it's attached to the pedal, causing it to maybe stick occasionally in the engaged position, so I loosened the bolts there by one or two castellations.

I'm running out of ideas. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!
Since it sounds like you checked everything related to a possibly dragging brake or wheel friction... did you check axle alignment and shim if needed, when installing the gear legs and axles?

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 06-27-2013, 07:47 PM

Ken,

Check out today's thread titled, RV12 Rudder Pedal Extensions by RV12Roger. My RV-8A would come to a stop when I tried to do a 180 and back taxi. I found out that my clodhoppers were applying the brakes. I made extensions out of alum. angles and bolted them to the bottom of my pedals and it worked. It is something to look at. Good hunting. If you would like to see a picture of my setup send your email address to jpthornton at frontier.net.

Jim
Old 06-27-2013, 08:16 PM

I assume you have already checked tire pressure. That would do it.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Scott, I did check the axle alignment during the build, but it feels like I should re-check it. Are there any tricks out there for checking axle alignment without jacking up the plane and taking off the wheels?
RV-12 #359
N1769K
Old 06-27-2013, 08:36 PM

Mine sometime pulls right or left. I attribute it to friction in the nose wheel castor because I can usually stop it by tapping the brakes until it centers
Old 06-27-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritsher View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Scott, I did check the axle alignment during the build, but it feels like I should re-check it. Are there any tricks out there for checking axle alignment without jacking up the plane and taking off the wheels?
Not a trick really, but you could get a good idea of the situation with a couple of straight edges (4 ft carpenters levels). Lightly clamp one to the outside of each tire with them parallel to the ground. Drop a couple plumb lines from the belly center line and measure front and back to see if the values are all close to the same. Checking 2 ft for and aft of the axle should be more than enough distance to detect if things are off very far.

Your next question would likely be how much is acceptable. I don't know the answer to that. You could calculate the value based on what the KAI suggests, but I think the best thing to start with would be just verifying if there is a difference between left and right.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 06-30-2013, 05:56 PM

Using Scott's technique, it appears that the right wheel is about 1/4 degree toe-out and the left wheel is about 1/4 degree toe-in. One quarter degree does not seem like a lot (given that the smallest shim is 1/2 degree). On the other hand, if both main wheels are angled off to the right, it makes sense that the nose would want to go left.

So, two questions:
1. Does anyone think that 1/4 degree could cause a significant tracking problem? and if so:
2. Is it better to shim the left wheel 1/2 degree so that both wheels are a tiny bit toe out, or is it better to shim the right wheel 1/2 degree to that both wheels are a tiny bit toe-in?
RV-12 #359
N1769K
Old 06-30-2013, 06:36 PM

Default Hey Ken - -

what speed are you using to judge it turning during taxi ?
Flying RV-12 - Serial #120036
Paid in May ( 5-4-18 )
Old 06-30-2013, 07:06 PM

It seems to me that no matter how many degrees the main wheels are out of alignment, the nose wheel has much more affect. For instance, if the main wheel is pointed 1 degree to the left and the nose wheel is pointed 15 degrees to the right, the plane is not going to pull to the left. The direction that the nose wheel is pointed needs to be known before looking for other causes.
A GoPro camera would come in handy for this situation.
Joe Gores