VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-09-2019, 10:35 AM
mturnerb mturnerb is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 832
Default

I took a tiny bit more material off the forward edge of the canopy in the central area than the plans would have suggested - is this an effective strategy to reduce risk of this happening? I'm also going to carefully check / remove sealant in the area on fuse.
__________________
Turner Billingsley
RV-14A In Progress
N14VB Reserved
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-10-2019, 07:45 PM
Arablenz Arablenz is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: South Island ,New Zealand
Posts: 49
Default

Just looking at this on my plane as I close up the last of the forward top skin.
Section 35-22 step 5 says to fill the gaps in the relief notches with proseal. I read it that you don't seal right along there with proseal only the relief notches.
Is there any reason to proseal right along there if it cause the canopy seal to stick and bend the canopy skin?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-10-2019, 08:51 PM
Tom023 Tom023 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arablenz View Post
Just looking at this on my plane as I close up the last of the forward top skin.
Section 35-22 step 5 says to fill the gaps in the relief notches with proseal. I read it that you don't seal right along there with proseal only the relief notches.
Is there any reason to proseal right along there if it cause the canopy seal to stick and bend the canopy skin?
Step 5 is to fill just the relief notches by taping over them and spreading proseal from the inside under the forward skin. The tape keeps the proseal flush with the F-01455 so the canopy skin forward edge can sit flush.

Step 6 has you run a bead of sealant in the gap between the F-01455 and F-01455C’s otherwise water could work its way between them. The problem is when this bead is to thick/wide and rides up onto the F-01455.
__________________
RV14A #140083
Down to last 5%.
2018 Donation

Last edited by Tom023 : 01-10-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-10-2019, 09:07 PM
Arablenz Arablenz is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: South Island ,New Zealand
Posts: 49
Default

Thanks. I understand clearer now.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-11-2019, 08:48 AM
bkervaski's Avatar
bkervaski bkervaski is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 896
Default

Quote:
Step 5 is to fill just the relief notches by taping over them and spreading proseal from the inside under the forward skin. The tape keeps the proseal flush with the F-01455 so the canopy skin forward edge can sit flush.

Step 6 has you run a bead of sealant in the gap between the F-01455 and F-01455Cís otherwise water could work its way between them. The problem is when this bead is to thick/wide and rides up onto the F-01455.
Apparently, for some reason, the QB folks go back and put a thick bead of proseal over the entire area. It's clear that they did the steps correctly but why they went back and put another line on afterwards is puzzling.
__________________
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Registered: N196
Progress: Flying!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-12-2019, 06:43 AM
MED MED is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Aiken, SC
Posts: 324
Default

After speaking with the Van's tech line yesterday, I ordered pro seal remover (polygone gel) and more pro seal. I plan to remove the excess material from my QB fuselage and reinstall only enough to form a water seal.
__________________
MED
140236
N435MD reserved
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-12-2019, 09:12 AM
bkervaski's Avatar
bkervaski bkervaski is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 896
Default

Quote:
After speaking with the Van's tech line yesterday, I ordered pro seal remover (polygone gel) and more pro seal. I plan to remove the excess material from my QB fuselage and reinstall only enough to form a water seal.
I didn't have much trouble removing it with just a razor blade, took about 2 hours.
__________________
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Registered: N196
Progress: Flying!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:16 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.