VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-10-2019, 08:20 PM

Default DAR question

Question for those DARís out there, or at least someone with some similar experience. This is my second plane to register so Iíve been through this before but have run into a hiccup. I am in Delaware and there is only one DAR listed on the EAA website for this state. ( I know they can do some traveling across zones with only a slightly greater amount of beurocracy.) I had this individual do the inspection on my zenith four years ago, and it went just fine so when I was getting close to bringing the airplane over to the hangar back in October I contacted him to see if he was still in the biz (is guess he was in his mid 70ís back then so it seemed important to double check.) He responded right away and said he was and we exchanged a couple of emails. I told him I was expecting a completion around the beginning of the year and he asked for the n number and told me get back with him as the time came nearer.

FF a couple of months. I sent him an email the week before Christmas saying we were pretty much done and asking to get on the schedule. Didnít hear back before the holidays, but itís busy and people travel so no biggie. Didnít hear back, so last week I hit him up again. Still no reply. Tried calling. Verizon says the call canít be completed. Iím down to a couple of stickers to apply to the dash before flying this thing, and wonder if heís left the country, moved south for the winter, or worse. I just started my tailwheel endorsement so itíll be a few weeks until Iím ready myself so i can give it a little more time, but in the back of my mind Iím wondering: how long do I wait? Iíd hate to have a finished plane sit for two or three months before flying because of this. (Just out of curiosity, I called a DAR over in Maryland and his estimated time table is 2-3 months from start to finish, although some of that was due to his age.)

I guess my questions are:
1. How long do I wait? It hasnít been a month yet from my December email and he could just be on vacation still...
2. Is it a 2-3 month process for every DAR every time? Or
3. With registration in hand is there a way to get this done quickly if I decide to go with someone else after waiting a reasonable period of time?

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-10-2019, 08:52 PM

I travel. Of course it would be considerable travel expense to travel to Delaware.

I have to get approval. Approval is usually no more than 1 or 2 days lead time. Unfortunately no approval until FSDO/MIDO go back to work. I can schedule within 1 to 2 weeks.

I'm sure you can find someone closer. Just one more option.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)Sold
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award

Last edited by Mel : 01-11-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:10 AM

Default No DAR work during government shutdown

Atlanta DARs are not able to do inspections during the shutdown. Donít know about other offices.

RV-6A N680V / RV-10QB N353RV
Luscombe 8E N2423K 50+years
Hatz Biplane N2423Z soon to be birthed
Falcon RV Squadron Founder
KFFC Hanger D-30
Peachtree City, Ga
770 310-7169
EAA Technical Counselor #5142
EAA Flight Advisor #486336
ATP/CFI/A&P/DAR
Old 01-11-2019, 07:20 PM

Were in the same neck of the woods and my EAA chpt (571) are all builders so we kinda keep tabs on DARs around. PM me his name and I'll ask our guys if they know anything....
N251Y (res)
Jan2019