VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-11-2019, 10:17 AM

Prob about 6 hours per side by the time they were all riveted. More time than that on the tips themselves, but that pretty much took care of the hinges, riblets, and securing the pins.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:15 AM

I cant believe how quickly you've finished up this airplane. Bravo!
Old 01-11-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-red View Post
Prob about 6 hours per side by the time they were all riveted. More time than that on the tips themselves, but that pretty much took care of the hinges, riblets, and securing the pins.
Thank you. Trying to judge how I am progressing and how much time does this or that take...roughly.

Thanks again
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 01-11-2019, 06:12 PM

Definitely. I get two hours every morning before the family wakes up. This, I judge jobs in how many ďdaysĒ itís going to take!
Old 02-16-2019, 07:47 AM

Talking Airworthiness 2/15/19

Happy Valentines Day to Me!
Don Scarfone from up in Bear, DE drove down to perform the airworthiness inspection. The plane has been ready to go for about 3 weeks now, save for some last minute items that have been hanging onto the bottom of the "to do" list for what seems like forever. All were minor things, like painting the glareshield flat black, sticking on necessary placards, making sure the jamb nuts on the elevator hinges were tight , etc. Fortunately we've had a string of warm days recently, and so a sunny 75 degree day a couple of weeks ago presented the perfect opportunity to get these knocked off the list.

The inspection went just about like the one he performed on my Zenith four years ago. Didn't check every nut and bolt, but seemed to know what he was looking for and went right to those areas.

Most importanly, he stood still and smiled for the obligatory "handshake" picture
Old 02-16-2019, 09:33 AM

Wow! Awesome! Must be such a great feeling! Congratulations!
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 02-17-2019, 04:36 PM

Gratz! Super cool.
http://operationrv10.blogspot.com/
Old 02-17-2019, 07:00 PM

Congrats!!!!
Builder #83203
VAF Dues Paid Monthly
Old 02-18-2019, 09:24 AM

Hey Jon, congratulations. Check your pmís.
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold, alive and well in New York
N73DF RV12 #244 Sold, alive and well in Florida
N91 RV RV9 I wish I could say I built this one! Mark Santoleri hit the ball out of the park on this gem.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:35 PM

Default First Flight

I believe there is a law that states RV videos must be accompanied by music from the Top Gun soundtrack, so I've obliged

https://youtu.be/nAumTL5TRLs

First flight was a thrilling experience! After literally jumping off the ground, the plane flew flawlessly. Left wing was a little heavy, but nothing the trim couldn't handle. Flight was 30 minutes, directly above the field at around 3k', and mostly at 75% power to seat the rings. Winds were a little gusty up high, and it was overcast, but all was calm on the ground. I did two stalls before coming down to confirm the airspeed indicator and returned for a pretty smooth landing.

Couple of squawks included the flap circuit blowing at 20* down every time. With the VP-X, it can be reset, would retract fine, then blow again at about half-flaps. Worked fine on the ground. Turns out, one of the plastic covered spade connectors I used to connect it had pulled out slightly and would contact the flap motor at about that position. Reconnected it and taped over both wires then secured them so they wouldn't move like that again.

The landing light circuit also blew. Turns out it just needed to be set at a higher amperage in the VP-x.

Finally, I landed and found a pretty good oil slick dripping from the lower cowling. After plenty of cleaning and ground running, it became apparent that the oil temperature probe gasket had gotten cocked when it was put on. Gasket was replaced and is holding and dry. There is some oil up front that looks like it might be coming from one of the smaller through bolts that doubles for retaining the hall effect sensor for the CPI ignition. I'm going to try some wicking locktite and see if that helps there.

Aside from those minor little things, she runs great! 75% power resulted in about 165kts true without wheelpants, and the climb is unbelievable. Third flight occurred this morning and with an OAT of about 35 degrees the initial climb rate was about 2500fpm! Ran for 30 minutes at power, then practiced landings at KGED. I'll say this: paved runways are definitely harder to land on than grass!

Thanks to the vans community and to this forum for all the help and support along the way. Keep Building