- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2019, 01:32 PM

Default Digital aircraft logbook software

I use Garmin Pilot to keep my pilot log and find it much easier to manage than paper logs. I am looking for a piece of software (desktop/mobile) to do the same for my airframe/engine logs. Any recommendations?
Old 01-11-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_omega View Post
I use Garmin Pilot to keep my pilot log and find it much easier to manage than paper logs. I am looking for a piece of software (desktop/mobile) to do the same for my airframe/engine logs. Any recommendations?
Excel.

You don't need access to it after every flight, just for maintenance and other big events like that. If you want to use it on mobile or have it backed up on the cloud just use Google Sheets or Office 365, although Google Sheets is a much more polished product.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:45 AM

I second the spreadsheet recommendation. I've been using them for logs for 20 years. First in Excel, then moved to OpenOffice, and now LibreOffice. Haven't tried moving them to Google Sheets but the cloud integration does appeal. Right now I just store the spreadsheet on my Google Drive and open it with whatever computer I have handy. LibreOffice is free so I can install it anywhere.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echozulu View Post
Excel.

You don't need access to it after every flight, just for maintenance and other big events like that. If you want to use it on mobile or have it backed up on the cloud just use Google Sheets or Office 365, although Google Sheets is a much more polished product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
I second the spreadsheet recommendation. I've been using them for logs for 20 years. First in Excel, then moved to OpenOffice, and now LibreOffice. Haven't tried moving them to Google Sheets but the cloud integration does appeal. Right now I just store the spreadsheet on my Google Drive and open it with whatever computer I have handy. LibreOffice is free so I can install it anywhere.
Sounds like three (3) of us are and have been doing the same thing.

I also like Excel but for 2019, I am giving up Microsoft. OpenOffice looks, feels, and works like MS Office. LibreOffice is the same. I have OpenOffice on the Mac machine and LibreOffice on the Ubuntu machine. Started moving away from Microsoft products in 2007 when they came out with that version of Office with the "Ribbon". Have not liked anything Microsoft has done since then and have found alternatives to all their products.

Any of the cloud based FREE services will work to keep a copy of the records that can be used by all platforms. I started using Dropbox when it first came out and it works on all platforms that I have used.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:30 AM

Default Transponder & IFR check entries and Annuals

So for you guys that do digital logbooks what do you do to maintain your "official" Transponder, IFR check and Annual entries?

The Transponder & IFR checks need an offical entry signed by a certified repair station and the Annual also needs to be signed by the person that performed the work. So don't you still need a hard copy in order maintain a record these items?
RV-12 SOLD
Highland Village,TX
Old 01-12-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_A View Post
So for you guys that do digital logbooks what do you do to maintain your "official" Transponder, IFR check and Annual entries?

The Transponder & IFR checks need an offical entry signed by a certified repair station and the Annual also needs to be signed by the person that performed the work. So don't you still need a hard copy in order maintain a record these items?
I have always used an electronic log. As you know, many others only understand paper. I have a printed copy (with my signatures added) that can be used for the repair station that does my Pitot / Static / Transponder check.

After their entry is made on paper, I will put a place holder in the electronic log or sometimes scan or photo it and put that in the eLog.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:53 PM

FWIW: I just use a simple WORD document, print each entry on a label then stick the label in a logbook. That way I have everything electronically searchable with 100% paper backup. YMMV

2019 Dues Paid
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com
Old 01-12-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:

According to 'expert' writers, all you're legally required to keep is 'a record'. So a shoe box of the signoffs you can't do yourself would meet the legal requirement for record keeping. A scanner might eliminate the shoe box...
Old 01-13-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalinHdz View Post
FWIW: I just use a simple WORD document, print each entry on a label then stick the label in a logbook. That way I have everything electronically searchable with 100% paper backup. YMMV

Same here.
One Week Wonder Build Team, OSH 2018.
VAF paid through 10/2019.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Scan the receipt from the work done and save as a PDF in your maintenance records folder. Make reference to it in the logbook spreadsheet on the line describing the maintenance done.

That said, I keep both a paper log (that I fill out first, when i'm at the plane) and a digital log (in spreadsheet, as mentioned). The digital is a backup, and a way to look for trends in the data.