- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2019, 03:25 PM

Default Probability of CO?

What is the probability of CO from the exhaust coming back in to the cabin through airframe/spar and canopy leakage areas? Anybody measure with a CO detector?
Old 01-08-2019, 10:58 AM

Default detection

CO detection is a must have in my opinion in airplanes. I' m still building, but I keep room on the panel for one.
Bought project & building RV12 #120742
Old 01-08-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansLab View Post
CO detection is a must have in my opinion in airplanes. I' m still building, but I keep room on the panel for one.
The electronic one in Sxxxxys works real well and doesn't require panel space. Or, it is integral with portable Dynon ADSB-In, I think I read!

Hope somebody in the know attempts to answer the 'Probability of CO' questions two posts down.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHound View Post
Hope somebody in the know attempts to answer the 'Probability of CO' questions two posts down.
It is not a question that is easy to answer....
The probability is dependent on the build of the airplane.

There are some owners that say they have so much cold air coming in that the cabin heat seems to not even function.
There are others that say there cockpit /canopy is well sealed and they stay quite warm.
Each indicates a different amount of outside air entering the cabin, and depending on where the entry point(s) is of said air, will depend on the probability of any of it containing any Co.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 01-08-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
It is not a question that is easy to answer....
The probability is dependent on the build of the airplane.

There are some owners that say they have so much cold air coming in that the cabin heat seems to not even function.
There are others that say there cockpit /canopy is well sealed and they stay quite warm.
Each indicates a different amount of outside air entering the cabin, and depending on where the entry point(s) is of said air, will depend on the probability of any of it containing any Co.
Scott, is it conceiveable some amount of exhaust could find its way inside the cockpit say thru the main gear/fuselage junction openings in all phases of fight and the vent and/or heater forced air clears it out?
Old 01-08-2019, 11:01 PM

I have some concern in my Cherokee because it has a heat muff around the exhaust, but less about my RV-12 due to the radiator heater. Having said that I did pick up a couple of CO monitors on Amazon. Cheap insurance. ($25 each)
Old 01-08-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
[...]but less about my RV-12 due to the radiator heater. [...]
Quick note for people reading this in the future : while the RV-12 uses a radiator heater, the RV-12iS does not and uses a more "regular" heat muff around the muffler for heat.
Construction Web Cam (broken now)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:27 PM

Aside from the seal kit, which I think works well, I've worked to seal all of the fuselage openings, such as:
- sealing the base of the vertical stabilizer.
- sealing around the steps where they insert into the fuselage.
- blocking some of the wedge openings in the baggage compartment aft bulkhead with foam wedges I cut out of rubber foam.
- Installed intersection fairings on my gear legs (with leg fairings)
- Installed stick boots on the control sticks. In practice, I didn't find much air inflow around the stick openings once the wing seals were in place, but the boots and carpet made a definite improvement in cabin insulation.

If you close up all of the holes in the aft bulkhead, then you will restrict heat in-flow as well as it has to have an exit somewhere. After some experimentation, I've found that blocking none makes for a cold baggage compartment, all of them reduces heat inflow, but 1/2 works well and is a sweet spot.

The biggest benefit is limiting cold air and rain intrusion, but it might also reduce drag a little bit.

Disclaimer: I use a heat muff with bypass valve.

- RV10, N1530G (reserved). Empennage in progress.
- RV12, N975G, "The Commuter"