VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-03-2019, 04:24 PM

Default Overflow Bottle Hose attachment

Seems silly easy...."Slide the free end of the F-1220 Overflow Bottle Hose over the barbed stem on the expansion tank..." I cannot for the life of me get the hose over the barbed stem. The hose seems too small. The hose is marked 3/16", so I'm pretty sure I'm using the correct hose and I managed to get the hose on the overflow bottle (although it did take a bit of force). Does anybody have a trick for getting the hose over the barb???

It is page 49-07 Step 1.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2019, 04:52 PM

For coolant hose I use a small amount of liquid soap or the kids bubbles solution. This time of year you could also warm the hose end carefully a bit to relax the rubber. Let us know what worked for you. ��
No paint yet. Working on a scheme with John Deere colors or accents.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:30 PM

Changed mine over to 1/4" with small clamps on both ends last annual. It will start to crack after a couple of years. And I didn't want to break the fitting on the tank,,$$$$$$
Old 01-04-2019, 06:26 PM

Default Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk2436 View Post
Changed mine over to 1/4" with small clamps on both ends last annual. It will start to crack after a couple of years. And I didn't want to break the fitting on the tank,,$$$$$$
Not a bad idea if you can get even a halfway decent seal. That hose is not under pressure, so that should work too.
No paint yet. Working on a scheme with John Deere colors or accents.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:22 PM

I put a few drops of dish soap in a few ounces of water and applied to the hose. It took a bit of work to get it started, but then went on just fine with just a little force. Also works great when installing all the other rubber hoses. Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-05-2019, 09:04 AM

Default Switch to metric hose

I too had issues with the hose to the coolant overflow bottle. I installed the hose months prior to adding coolant to the system. Discovered the hose at the bottle was already beginning to split when adding the coolant to the system prior to first flight. (And, yes, the hose was initially cut using a proper tubing cutter with a very sharp blade)

The real issue here is we are trying to install an American sized Gates 3/16" hose onto metric 8mm pipes with 9mm nipples. I solved the issue by going to a foreign car parts store and bought metric sized 7 mm fuel hose (believe it is VW Beetle fuel hose). I did a write-up on the Blog about the issue along with with measurements .... for those interested in reading about it.
http://www.dogaviation.com/2016/07/c...plit-hose.html

Happy building,
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2019

Last edited by John-G : 01-05-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:44 AM

I believe I have found 7mm (VW) reinforced rubber fuel hose (not cloth wrapped). Hose is marked 7.0mm with 3.0mm wall thickness. 3’ length - $16.15 including shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7mm-Gas-Hos...3/172249686177

and… Fuel Line Hose Spring Clamps
12mm-14mm, 10pcs. $6.36 including shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5mm-32mm-Fu...r=413610497636

EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 406

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 01-05-2019, 01:39 PM

Jim -

Good find on on the hose ... thanks for posting the link. I was about to begin looking for some reinforced hose to replace the 7 mm cloth wrapped fuel line I used (which is still just fine but I would prefer having reinforced hose for this application). Planning to replace the 7 mm cloth wrapped hose with reinforced hose when draining and changing the coolant this spring.
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2019
Old 01-07-2019, 02:25 PM

We're aware of (and also identified internally based on our own experience) the difficulty fitting the overflow hose. We recently completed the process of making a small change to the kit assembly instructions and hose size/attachment clamps. This change is classified as a minor kit improvement, which we make from time to time based on experience. It's not a mandatory change, and aircraft with the original hose size may continue to use/install that hose. We recently started shipping the larger diameter hose and two small clamps in RV-12 kits. In the interest of letting you know, and given the relative simplicity of this particular change, below are the details in case you are at a stage where you want to buy the parts and use them for your aircraft build.

The new/changed kit assembly steps (on page 50iS/U-08) state:
  • Step 9: Cut a 34 in. [86.4 cm] length of EA HOSE H175 to create the FF-01220-1.
  • Step 10: Slip the FF-01220-1 (with clamp) over the stem on the Overflow Bottle and clamp as shown in Figure 1.
  • In Figure 1, added “2X HW-00010” clamps and call out.
  • Hose diameter increased from 3/16” (H173) to 1/4" (H175) to ease installation; clamps (HW-00010)added to secure larger diameter hose.

Again, this is an optional change - builder's choice. You may use the existing 3/16 hose or you can acquire the new 1/4 inch hose and two clamps described above. Either is acceptable from an ELSA standard-build perspective.

Opinions, information and comments posted by me are my own unless stated otherwise. They do not represent direction/opinions of my employer.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014 (N88VX reserved)
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XPIO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Flying spam can, helped build/fly a few RV-12s and some other RVs
Hillsboro, OR (EAA 105)

Old 01-07-2019, 03:42 PM

Upgraded this hose in 2015 during my 5 year rubber replacement exercise.

Used a coolant specific hose rated for high-temp and Vacuum. I feel the temperature rating is important to prevent early hose failure. The hose is blue color. You can order it by the foot. I bought enough for 3 airplanes.

If you order something from this supplier (McMaster-Carr) make sure you check the shipping option, I think the default is overnight air $$.

Used NAPA automotive spring type clamps visible in this picture. There is a need to be careful if clamps are used that it doesn't interfere with opening the coolant cap. Larger OD hose and clamp is very close to the cap.

RV-12 #202 -- Flying

Last edited by Tony_T : 01-08-2019 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Added some details