VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-31-2018, 07:07 PM

If you've had to live with Bendix style systems with mags, through all kinds of operating conditions, compare those experiences with your experiences with your modern car, in the same circumstances.

Once the new style system is properly set up, it will give the same experience as your car; it'll just start and run, without all the varying voodoo many of us have had to employ to get the old style stuff running.

That alone would be enough to motivate me. But you then get to improve cyl balance with button pushes, instead of laborious injector swapping, and the ignition advance features give better fuel economy, if you're willing to run lean of peak.

Consider that even little industrial engines, watercraft, cycles, etc etc have almost all migrated to electronic engine controls. I certainly wish my 10 year old UTV had it; it would make cold starting a thing of the past.

Charlie
Old 12-31-2018, 07:20 PM

Iíve NEVER heard of anyone thatís gone back to any of the old-school mechanical systems (fuel, ignition, or both) once theyíve experienced a modern EFI/EFII system. I think that alone speaks volumes.

Mark
Old 12-31-2018, 07:54 PM

Default EFII systems

Since I have bought the EFI/EFII system I probably should know more about this but I made the decision I wanted the latest technology (There will be more in my lifetime I'm sure) and since the automobile guys have been doing this for 20 years + wanted a system where I did not have to be adjusting air mixture controls but used FADEC mapping. (When was the last time you had to adjust your mixture control on your car?) I fly giant scale turbine jets using FADEC and love this ease of use. (Yes I know this a different system since we don't fly over 1,000 ft. AGL but have flown these in the Denver area with same results at sea level) Since the 390 is fuel injected already it was not this option I wanted but also the use of a lack of mixture control. Many years ago I talked with a builder using the system on his 14 and he was 100 times more knowledgably than me and I signed up. Today he has over 100 hours (Since I last communicated with him) and loves it. It might be a tomato tomoto argument but we all agree that VAF is the best community of aviation enthusiast in the world. I like using the latest technology and eventually it improves the system (I have 2 EV vehicles that I drive) even though it's more emotional than a scientific decision. The other opinion I received that I have not taken to the bank is this system will be compatible with the 100LL fuels of the future and I liked this play. Since I live in the Midwest I'm leery of Auto gas with ethanol that we should not have ever started using in our fuel systems but we might be stuck with this error and EFII gives me options in the future.

Looking for more comments from builders (Especially RV-14) that have made the leap of faith to go with 2 controls not 3 for there airframes.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:10 AM

Morning all. Sorry but I've got chair lag--not jet lag---from sitting with Suzanne all day yesterday getting a transfusion. Think I;ll just keep a big pillow in the car---just in case!

EFI injections may or may not have advantages over a mechanical injection. Certainly ECU controlled mixtures are or may be an advantage to some. I think that once you get past the install with its extra plumbing and wiring, then quite possibly there is an advantage. Ross at SDS has done an awesome job of developing this type of setup for many years.

For the builder or owner of the various planes, these systems are NOT drop in as the aircraft werent originally designed with them in mind. The RV14 may or may not be an exception with the return port in the tanks. The planes were designed with the overall availability of engines and parts to make an 'economical' aircraft. But for those that want to use these systems, Steve and I have done packages from RV4 through RV14, with the RV7 and RV10 being the most common. Double the plumbing, usually in tight places, and this extra plumbing has to interact with other systems originally designed for the plane. Wiring and flight controls sometimes come into play.

AS Flightlines, the Joint Venture of Aircraft Specialty and TS Flightlines has spend a considerable amount of time, effort, and some expense to prototype these packages and have beta testers check them; sometimes multiple testers, because not everyone route things the same way. We did it because you asked for it, and frankly it was a challenge!

At any rate, the common part that everyone will need is a duplex valve, configured correctly for the particular install they are doing. In most cases SPACE AND CLEARANCES are at a premium so prior planning is important. We recommend the Andair FS2020 duplex valve. Not to say that there arent others on the market, but we dont have experience with them. Will be doing a RV10 with a Newton valve shortly. This valve sometimes correctly configured has to come from Andair so lead times come into play.

Getting off course here, but the point is, YES they can be done, Yes they have some advantages, YES the installs are alot of work. Our suggestion is to thoroughly investigate if a EFI system is for you, and if so, WE'RE game and can help.

Tom and Steve
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 01-01-2019, 10:21 AM

Default AS Flightlines

Tom and Steveís plumbing kits make this an easy installation....at least in the -7. Thanks guys!!

Mark