- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2018, 08:28 AM

One quick note here:
In the Beringer install manual, they put the parking brake valve on the left pedal bar mount. That was different than we originally did our package, as some of you know. In most of the other installs, the PB Valve was located on the F14104 center brace to help control the length of the 2 extensions hoses for the 'A' model. And get it closer the RV10 location. Beringer in their manuals even show the F6122-1 trigear bracket mounted on the firewall, like the RV10. This doesnt exist in the RV14 or 14A and no provision for it.
So as a compromise, we had this beta tester mount it on the left pedal bar mount and in the case of the 14A, we'd have to extend the hoses to the main gear mounts. Those of you with 14A's know what I'm talking about. Steve and I didnt want to go against Beringer's 'recommended' location, although with the ALIR valve you are running hoses back and forth from masters, to the ALIR valve mounted in the center, then 2 hoses to the PB valve mounted on the left, then back across to the tunnel.

Personally, I thought it was unnecessary, but its what Beringer's engineers came up with. And, until we can come up with a better TESTED solution, the package with probably stay that way. Some of you previous clients have mounted the PB Valve on the F14104 center brace with excellent results. Some of you have made the RV10 style firewall mount work well. BUT, to accommodate everyone, we are going to use the Beringer locations for now.

Another note. Some previous clients or installers had mounted the ALIR valve either on the firewall or wall behind the center panel piece. LOL---my arms arent long enough to reach it when sitting in the seat with the harnesses on. YMMV. I wanted to move it aft, towards the seat and panel to allow easier reach during adjustment. Especially during initial settings of the anti-skid valve. It just didnt seem to me to be a safe way to be rolling, loose or not strapped in, braking AND trying to adjust a ALIR valve while reaching under the panel. it was mentioned by one poster that he assumed you set it and forgot about it. maybe so, but do conditions change? I think so, and I think you'd want easier access to fine tune that adjustment IF it became necessary.

For you builders that have the ALIR valve installed and FLYING, we'd like to know your impressions of both functionality and access for adjustments. Maybe I'm blowing this up, but certainly want to be safe here.

Tom and Steve---AS Flightlines
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 12-30-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Flightlines View Post
One quick note here:
In the Beringer install manual, they put the parking brake valve on the left pedal bar mount. That was different than we originally did our package, as some of you know. In most of the other installs, the PB Valve was located on the F14104 center brace to help control the length of the 2 extensions hoses for the 'A' model. And get it closer the RV10 location. Beringer in their manuals even show the F6122-1 trigear bracket mounted on the firewall, like the RV10. This doesnt exist in the RV14 or 14A and no provision for it.
So as a compromise, we had this beta tester mount it on the left pedal bar mount and in the case of the 14A, we'd have to extend the hoses to the main gear mounts. Those of you with 14A's know what I'm talking about. Steve and I didnt want to go against Beringer's 'recommended' location, although with the ALIR valve you are running hoses back and forth from masters, to the ALIR valve mounted in the center, then 2 hoses to the PB valve mounted on the left, then back across to the tunnel.

Personally, I thought it was unnecessary, but its what Beringer's engineers came up with. And, until we can come up with a better TESTED solution, the package with probably stay that way. Some of you previous clients have mounted the PB Valve on the F14104 center brace with excellent results. Some of you have made the RV10 style firewall mount work well. BUT, to accommodate everyone, we are going to use the Beringer locations for now.

Another note. Some previous clients or installers had mounted the ALIR valve either on the firewall or wall behind the center panel piece. LOL---my arms arent long enough to reach it when sitting in the seat with the harnesses on. YMMV. I wanted to move it aft, towards the seat and panel to allow easier reach during adjustment. Especially during initial settings of the anti-skid valve. It just didnt seem to me to be a safe way to be rolling, loose or not strapped in, braking AND trying to adjust a ALIR valve while reaching under the panel. it was mentioned by one poster that he assumed you set it and forgot about it. maybe so, but do conditions change? I think so, and I think you'd want easier access to fine tune that adjustment IF it became necessary.

For you builders that have the ALIR valve installed and FLYING, we'd like to know your impressions of both functionality and access for adjustments. Maybe I'm blowing this up, but certainly want to be safe here.

Tom and Steve---AS Flightlines
As Tom mentioned, there were a lot of considerations that went into this setup.

Ultimately, we decided to stay with the Beringer mounting locations. There are brackets provided with the Beringer kit and it makes the installation very simple and drop in. There are some VERY specific clockings required on the hoses in order to get them to fit this nicely. So, we made up master hoses so that we can duplicate the installation perfectly every time.

The mounting of the parking brake valve on the left side of the fuselage provides a very short cable routing. The ALIR valve underneath the pedal bar bracket is accessible for adjustment according to beta testers.

The RV14A installation will be a duplication of this setup with the exception that we will modify the output hoses to go through the center tunnel to the cabin exit point. That is the configuration we are still seeking two beta testers for to get pictures and verify fit.

The other advantage to sticking with the stock configuration as the standard package is that IF a builder has already mounted everything as per the Beringer instructions and then decides that they want to purchase pre made hoses....we know that our kit will fit because it is designed around the stock beringer locations.

As always, if anyone wants to customize or make any changes, we are happy to build custom assemblies to dimensions that you specify!

Steve and Tom

aircraftspecialty@gmail.com

www.aircraftspecialty.com
www.asflightlines.com
Old 12-30-2018, 02:30 PM

Here is my installation in few picts.
Connections at the gear leg/wheel didn't seem to me the main issue. Connection at the fuse belly/ gear leg , more.

Hoses have to fit with the leg fairings !!!

and/or ...

Thus, I prefered ream the female threads of U-01402 Lower Gear Braces and pass directly through the beringer hoses protected by heat-shrinkable adhesive sheath (x2):

And the leg/wheel :

RV 14A - #140252 - Flying
France
2018 dues paid
Old 12-30-2018, 03:51 PM

Eric and all,

The picture below shows the standard installation. However, we do the same for the Beringer at the top of the gear leg to avoid the fairing clearance issue you mentioned. We run a 45 degree fitting with provides a nice routing down the gear leg.

Steve

aircraftspecialty@gmail.com

www.aircraftspecialty.com
www.asflightlines.com