- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2018, 10:51 PM

Julian,

If you guys get together at GEU you can use any of my tools or testing stuff. Just give me a call.

Rich
Old 12-12-2018, 08:03 AM

I will look to ignition modules. I had thi problem in other plane with Rotax 912 and is a recurrent problem of this model. I can start heating them before with a hair dryer. Afther that, they work fine, it was only the first start of the day. Finally I change one of them as is a very expensive spare, and I will change the other in a short time.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiricuca View Post
I will look to ignition modules. I had thi problem in other plane with Rotax 912 and is a recurrent problem of this model. I can start heating them before with a hair dryer.
I would be surprised if it was the ignition modules, since you have 2 and it should start on either.

What is your starting technique? The choke in these engines only works when the throttle is fully closed (it's not really a choke, it's a separate carburetor circuit), so make sure the idle isn't set too high and you have the throttle completely closed for cold starts.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:58 PM

Default Starting problem, some success

I'm the one with the no-start ignition problem. Interesting process. Had an A/P come over and see 'what's up?', top cowling off, test starting, no good. He taps the soft start module and the engine starts strong. We eliminate the aftermarket soft start module, and engine starts strong. I have arranged (through this thread) to purchase another Soft Start Module, later serial number, new, unused so as soon as it arrives, I will install that module and see if I am back to where I was before the Module I had went bad.

I checked with CPS about the price of new modules with integrated soft start and they want about $1100 including tax and shipping each. His comment was it was recommended to purchase a pair rather than start on one module. Anyone have any comment on one mag, two mag starts? Mark
Old 12-29-2018, 04:02 PM

I am located at KGEU in the hangers, my cell phone is 480-249-6543, and I would like to meet another RV-12 owner. It's sort of lonely with Rotax issues that certified engine mechanics marvel at.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:10 PM

Mark check your PMs. There are at least three other RV-12s on the field.

Rich
Old 12-29-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n518jh View Post
I'm the one with the no-start ignition problem. Interesting process. Had an A/P come over and see 'what's up?', top cowling off, test starting, no good. He taps the soft start module and the engine starts strong. We eliminate the aftermarket soft start module, and engine starts strong. I have arranged (through this thread) to purchase another Soft Start Module, later serial number, new, unused so as soon as it arrives, I will install that module and see if I am back to where I was before the Module I had went bad.

I checked with CPS about the price of new modules with integrated soft start and they want about $1100 including tax and shipping each. His comment was it was recommended to purchase a pair rather than start on one module. Anyone have any comment on one mag, two mag starts? Mark
With the aftermarket softstart module you should be starting with only Ign a switched on (assuming that is the one the soft start is installed on, so I guess you could the same with the new version Ign module, but it would't make sense to spend $1100 when you are able to buy the aftermarket module for much less.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")