- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2018, 07:45 AM

Default Just me

Mine came out exactly like Bruceís . This thing gets sealed with tank sealent anyway and I figure that will cover the hole. I dont see a need to maintain this rivet.

Dont forget the washer between the main gear and spar. It is best to fit it now while the botom skin is off. Some washers may need trimming.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2019, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings done less tips and avionics
Fuselage 30%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 12-10-2018, 08:15 AM

Default Gear weldment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draker View Post
Thanks for the info. Larry, did you fit everything by grinding away powder coating from the gear socket? I don't see how to maintain edge distance here, given how far this thing has to go before seating against the center section.
No. I didn't touch the weldment. Just kept working the skin and flange. I used a dremel with a grinding bit. Lots of putting it on and taking it off till it fit perfect. I'm sure they are all a little different. Maybe I got lucky. Worth a call to Van's but I think that hole can for removed if necessary.
I assume you figured out the two or three nutplates have to be removed to get the gear in place. Also, remember the washer.
The other item to check is interference with the wing bolts. Mine were an issue. The drift pins would hit the gear weldment hole. I had to file the holes a little (Vans Advise). Last thing you want when it's time to mount wings is bolt interference.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/27/2018. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.

Last edited by wirejock : 12-10-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:59 AM

Consider that the skins in this area are likely the same for tail or nose dragger. Losing a couple sheet metal holes around the weldment, which vastly strengthens the area, won't matter.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 12-10-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
No. I didn't touch the weldment. Just kept working the skin and flange. I used a dremel with a grinding bit. Lots of putting it on and taking it off till it fit perfect. I'm sure they are all a little different. Maybe I got lucky. Worth a call to Van's but I think that hole can for removed if necessary.
Thanks, Larry. Yes, Van's confirmed too: Make the gear fit and forget about the hole.
Donated 1/2/2019
RV-7A: Empennage and wing kits complete minus fiberglass, fuselage in progress!
N12VD reserved!
Old 12-27-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
I assume you figured out the two or three nutplates have to be removed to get the gear in place. Also, remember the washer.
Sorry, What washer? Studying the drawings I donít see any oddly placed washers.
Donated 1/2/2019
RV-7A: Empennage and wing kits complete minus fiberglass, fuselage in progress!
N12VD reserved!
Old 12-28-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draker View Post
Sorry, What washer? Studying the drawings I donít see any oddly placed washers.
Look at spot A4-5 on the drawing and read that big block of text pointing to the one bolt. One washer goes between center section and gear mount.
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 12-28-2018, 07:23 AM

Default Me to

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Look at spot A4-5 on the drawing and read that big block of text pointing to the one bolt. One washer goes between center section and gear mount.
Yup, one washer had to have the edge filed to fit right, the other side was ok as is. I taped these to the spar so i wouldnt lose them when it comes time to final install.

Also, when trimming for the gear and “loosing the hole” i forgot to include the space need to tighten the gear. Mine just fits, but i think i will need to grind more for “sinch up” room. Thanks for the warning, mr “wire jock” larry. Just in time too, I am about to flip the canoe.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2019, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings done less tips and avionics
Fuselage 30%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com

Last edited by PilotjohnS : 12-28-2018 at 07:28 AM.