VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-16-2018, 05:30 PM

Default Fuel flow

I have the FT60 red cube fuel flow unit and lost fuel flow indication on Dynon HDX. Removed tunnel cover, turned on master waited for screens to come up. No fuel flow indicated until i turned fuel valve on, with inital surge of fuel i had flow indication reading. After reassembling cover and starting the engine i lost flow indication again. With engine running i shut off fuel valve waited for fuel pressure to drop to about 2.9 cycle fuel valve open, flow indication returns but quickly returns to 0. Wiring at plug appears ok. This has been ongoing for about last 10hrs flight time

Thanks Rod
Old 12-16-2018, 07:40 PM

Possibly a bit of debris in the cube making the turbine stick intermittently. Have tried removing it and flushing it?
Old 12-16-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
Possibly a bit of debris in the cube making the turbine stick intermittently. Have tried removing it and flushing it?
What does that entail?
Is there a document for servicing the red cube?
Old 12-17-2018, 05:51 AM

Default I want to post the latest with my Flow-Scan - -

In the last 9 years I have had a problem with mine slowing and stopping I think 3 times. The Flow-Scan people said to wash it out with carb cleaner. That worked twice, but did not last time, so I tried something else. After slushing the unit vigorously for a minute or two with carb cleaner, I then put WD-40 in it and did the same. I blew on the wheel by mouth, and could hear the turbine spinning freely. I have flown maybe 5 - 10 times since then, and it has worked very well. No idea how long it will last, but so far, so good.
Flying RV-12 - Serial #120036
Paid in May ( 5-4-18 )
Old 12-17-2018, 07:05 AM

Default Mine failed this past summer

As described in prior post I too tried those ďcleaning ď techniques to flush my Red Cube but had to purchase a new one. What I discovered was that gazoo sound when air, blown my mouth, donít use compressed air, to determine proper functioning.
When I was flushing and checking for impeller movement I had no idea what it sound like until I until I heard one over the phone when talking with Dynon Support. Once I knew mine was making no sound a new one was ordered and installed.
The other thing I ordered was a flex fuel line from the Red Cube to the firewall. Took a couple of tries to get the correct configuration but itís working well.
RV12, #401, Flying 2013, N612PC
RV6, 1996-2010 sold
Old 12-17-2018, 08:43 AM

Don't try to open it. It's assembled in such a way that opening the rotor cover kills it forever.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:13 PM

Take a good look at the debris if there is any. If itís tank sealer there may be more coming, and it would be wise inspect the tank interior and flush the fuel lines.

I helped a guy with a new SLSA RV-12 when he found goo in the gascolator sample. It was white and turned out to be pipe thread compound from over zealous application on pipe thread fittings. If the debris is black itís probably tank sealant. Of course if it came from contaminated fuel all bets are off on the color or material.

Good luck!
Old 12-19-2018, 12:01 PM

My 12 was factory built as E-LSA, just removed flow sensor cleaned it by pulsing gas through it and it had pipe thread sealant in it. Reinstalled fuel flow back to normal for now.