VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-14-2018, 11:47 PM

Default Painting window shims

I am nearly ready to put the roll bar into my fuselage and paint the interior of the cockpit. My plan is to paint the fuselage in a gray color and the roll bar and some other items in a semi-gloss black. (I'm using Rust-Oleum's Farm & Implement paint because I figure it's strong enough for the outside of a tractor so it should hold up to the inside of an airplane.)

But then I realized that I will be riveting the window plexiglass directly to the window shims on the roll bar. Am I creating problems by using a dark color in that area, which could absorb sunlight and turn it into localized heat against the plexiglass?

I may be paranoid, but it has got me where I am in life. Thanks for any thoughts on this odd topic.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:28 PM

I would paint it the same color as your interior. Glossy black stands out like a carnival ride. Plus, I use the roll bar to pull myself up the wing, to help steady myself getting in, out, etc. Black might heat up a bit to the touch to aggravate everyone.
I painted mine gray and it hides, blends in nicely, including with the overhead ‘geezer’ shade.
Cheers,
H
Old 12-16-2018, 12:57 PM

I hadn't thought of burning my hand on a hot roll bar or canopy deck. Thanks for bringing that up!

I had already painted the roll bar brace in black. I have a test piece that I had painted with the same paint and this morning I painted over it in the gray to see how it turns out compared to my sample of the gray paint directly on my primer.