Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-15-2018, 10:43 AM

Default Help me with my prop choice?

Hey All-

Sorry, I don't post a ton as my project was in hiatus for several years. I was at the point I thought of selling and buying a flying one, but I am back on track for competing mine with some help/motivation.

I am close to needing to order a prop for my 7A/ IO390. At one point I was 100% in the Hartzell BA C/S camp. After talking to some I am now considering their composite prop as well (have ruled out WW).

I know with the 390 I am carrying a little more weight up front so the CG issue that faces a lot of 7 folks with composite props shouldn't apply (I don't think).

I know there have been several conversations on this over the years, and I think I've read them all, but would love to revive and hear what people think.

Pros as I know them:
  • Lighter on the crank
  • Climb
  • smoother
  • quieter?

Cons:
  • Cost- $6K more with spinner

Thanks!
dan
Old 12-15-2018, 01:32 PM

Hi Dan
Iíve also a 7a with an angle valve engine and I would advise you to go for the composite prop. I fitted the whirlwind but I also installed a sky dynamics magnesium flywheel and an EarthX battery on the firewall as I was worried about too much weight on the nose,turned out with a 1085lbs plane with 300lbs on the nose wheel (unpainted) which is comparable to many parallel valve engines with the metal Hartzell.
Hope this helps
Old 12-15-2018, 02:27 PM

Thank you!