Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-15-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
I have done an extensive amount of cross country in the 14 and 14A and typically cruise at 170-171 Kts TAS at about 8.1-8.2 GPH

It is incorrect to think that a bigger engine automatically means higher fuel flow.
If you built two identical RV-7's except one having an IO-320 (160 HP) and one having an angle valve IO-360 (200 HP) and you fly them side by side in the same conditions, the IO360 airplane will have nearly an identical fuel flow as the IO-320 airplane when it is throttled back to match the speed of the smaller engine.
This is a very true statement. I would even go as far as saying that the one with the bigger engine may burn less. I took a trip to OSH 3 years ago with a buddy who flew his 7A and I was in my -7. He has a O-320 and I have O-360. Flying in somewhat loose formation, every time we stopped for fuel it took significantly less fuel for me to top off than for him because I had throttled back so much that my fuel burn was in the mid 6 to mid 7 range vs. his 9 to 10.
Supporting VAF since the first visit
Old 03-11-2019, 10:38 PM

Default RV7

We have been enjoying my -7 for about 12 years and 1100 hrs. Trips IFR but mostly fun, close by flights. Trips have been easy with wife and sometimes grandson along. Carry gear, cargo and sometimes rifles along. Can't beat the RV concept and design. Always carry tools.